beginner setup

sypher deus

Hello,
I'm writing to hopefully find a bit of advice. I'm new to home recording and am trying to put together a basic studio to learn on while waiting for school to begin this spring. my main goal is to make my own hip hop music. I'm hoping maybe you can steer me in the direction I need to go.

I was thinking about building around the Boss BR 1180CD and maybe an Akai sampler drum machine.Maybe a keyboard and turntables. And is this type of setup I would run through my computer/ is it necessary? What else do I need to get started? I know there are a lot of smaller components that accompany setups. I know my questions are very vague, I'm sorry. I just need a list of the basics to get me started.

For the beats I would look at an EMU-MP7. Its discontinued but you can still expand the ROM samples.

MP7

I had one or a while and liked it a lot. I needed money so I took it back right before the 30 guaranty wore off at GC.

Hey Sypher,

Welcome from Madison! You'll also need some studio monitors... search the forums here for what will suit you best.

Outlaw mentioned the MP7.. EMU also makes a keyboard version of this the Mo' Phatt . I've tried 'em out before.... pretty sweet machines and I think they're $100 cheaper than the MP7 (I think the MP7 might have more shit you can do with it tho too)

Also, what type of mics are you using? (if any)

Hey Outlaw, did they charge you the Pro Audio 15% restocking fee at GC?

Oh yeah, If you got the BOSS, it will work fine as a stand alone recorder... I've heard some good things about that machine. If you're looking to go into computer recording tho there are a lot of options... I swear by Pro Tools LE.. it's very easy to use and editing is a breeze. Check out the Digi001 systems ($5 - 6 hundred on ebay) keep us posted on what you decide!

Scott

Back