Beginner question on number of mic inputs

fns

I am interested in live recording and expect to use two to four XLR microcphones (an x-y pair and occasional spot mikes, boundary etc)

I want to use a computer with an audio interface. I note that a large number of the available interfaces have only two XLR mic ports. It seems like the products out there would support more than two mics. Did I miss something? Perhaps the more accepted method is to use a pre-amp and feed the interface through the line jacks?

Thanks for any advice
Fritz

Yup--you have lots of choice.

At the cheaper end of the market are the Alesis iO4 and the Tascam US-600. Prices go up from there depending on your budget and needs for features and quality. I've not personally used either of the above but have heard good things (here on this forum) about the Tascam.

Option1- get an interface with more mic inputs like maybe a focusrite
Option2- use a mixer 4 channel mixer with at least 4 mic inputs and come out of that into your computer via interface

Not meaning to be contradictory, but the newbie's suggestion above - option 2 is not the best.
Don't use a mixer unless you do not want full control over each mic input when you do your mixdown. There are some mixers that offer individual track conversion, but most onluy offer stereo (2 track) USB A-to-D.

+1 for mjbphoto's comment above. As per the Sticky linked to, there are specific reasons why somebody might want to use a mixer but they usually require a better-than-entry-level mixer. For general use, a mixer isn't needed and becomes another thing to complicate the system and go wrong.

If you expect to use 2-4 sod's law states a day will come where you'll need 5, I bought an 8/8 interface no too long ago and already want 9 inputs on quite a regular basis, but as everyone said, there is deffinately options out there that go over the 2/2 and not too pricey either I bought an M-Audio fast track ultra 8r cost me e400 new.

The mixer option the new guy threw out can work if and ONLY if you're sure you know exactly what you want your summed inputs to sound like, ie. if you know you want your top and bottom snare mic to have this much balance and thats not gonna change. but I wouldn't recommend it even then.

Thanks for all the input! I took a further look and see the basic options below for four XLR port / USB interfaces:

Peavey PV6 USBAlesis Multimix USB Fx 8
Alesis IO4
Numark M6
Behringer Xenyx 1202FX
Behringer Xenyx 1204
Peavey PV8 USB
Akai Professional
Yamaha MW10
Behringer Xenyx X1204

One thing I don't quite understand-most of these options seem to have an equalizer and other mixing options on board. Isn't the object to record separate tracks and then adjust these parameters after the fact with the software?

Thanks
Fritz

Last edited:
A lot of these are mixer interfaces...

Let me find something more in your boat, Here

Again this is just a general quick search and may or may not meet your particular criteria, I'd suggest staying away from mixer type solutions

OK and thanks. The sales literature is a bit vague about this. The items I listed were under the category of "audio interfaces" which to me, is not a mixer. I think some of the vendors are trying to combine a mixer and audio interface but as you look at the specs, apparently some of the interface features (multi-tracking, bit depth) are compromised. I'll tread carefully going forward. I don't see the need for a mixer if one is going to post process the tracks with a computer.

thanks again,
Fritz

Back