Beginner Mic Techniques and Troubles

Yeeeessssss

Currently using a Samson C01U and C03U and am using Traktion 3 as my software

I want to record electric guitar and drums at the same time with the best quality.
I've tried recording one at a time but getting the guitar to line up with the drum set seem to be impossible.
I've also tried Using two mics at once, one for drums and one for guitar amp but the guitar always seems to bleed through to the drum mic.
Currently I am using just the C03U on figure 8 and placing it in front of the guitar and which is about 7-8 feet away from the drums. It works but isn't the best quality for obvious reasons.

How can i get the best sound quality from my microphone(s) and instrument(s) and what is the best set up for this situation? Will i need to record one at a time?

Also: What are some techniques for recording other instruments? Such as Trumpet, Acoustic Guitar, Vocals, and Bass Guitar?

Thanks!

Last edited:
First of all I assume you are working in a DAW? Second you can record guitar and drums separately--and should IMO--by using a clicktrack. Any minor quantization fluctuations can be treated with features in many DAW's and other audio softwares.

Yes, i currently am using the software that came with the Mackie mixer (Traktion 3). Though i imagine its out of date by now. And it is rather frustrating to use and seems very limiting. How should i record this song and in what sequence? Im assuming drums first. Just have the drummer listen to a click track and play the part while listening to it? Then have the guitarist do the same? Thank you. Also could you recommend good software that wont break the bank? Thanks again!

Traktion is not really a recommended software for this kind of thing. I would recommend you check out Cubase Elements 7, which is $99 and is a great software to track, mix, and process audio in. Probably the best bang for your buck out there. I personally use Artist 7 for everything I do.

I would record drums first, and only use a clicktrack if your drummer needs one. A lot of times you'll get a better human feel if you let the drummer just kinda do his thing and give him a two measure precount before commencing recording.

See your other thread aboot 'improving your sound quality'. You need an audio interface, non-USB mics and a good DAW.

Back