beginner kit

Nicole_Rose

Great White North Girl
my gf is thinking about learning to play the drums. she doesn't want to spend a lot on a kit in case she doesn't really get into it. does anyone have recommendations as to what kind of kit to get?

my gf is thinking about learning to play the drums. she doesn't want to spend a lot on a kit in case she doesn't really get into it. does anyone have recommendations as to what kind of kit to get?

best bet is a pawn shop or craigslist. that way you're getting a used set that you get to take a look at and listen to before buying. i bought my first two kits used, and finally graduated to a good kit last year (i figure 18 years of playing makes me a fairly serious drummer).

i'd avoid anything TOO cheap--you know, a no-name type deal. if the drums sound like total crap, it can be a turn-off and she may decide not to get serious about it for the wrong reasons.

get one of the cheaper lines from pearl, tama, mapex, yamaha, ludwig, etc. pdp is dw's cheap line, and their snares are pretty impressive for the price. i can't really attest to the rest of their stuff though. i do know that mapex puts together a pretty decent cheap kit. just make sure you have some frame of reference on what the kit you're looking at would cost new so you don't get ripped off on a used one.

fwiw. :)

I have been playing drums for 8 years and I am currently ony my way to getting a BA in Music Ed. I started out with a Pulse. It was a cheap drumset. The toms a bass sounded alright, the snare not so great but could be fixed if you just took the stock head off anf it comes with cymbals. Mind you these cymbals are just sheet metal but can later be upgraded to an amature sounding drumset. You can also look into Taye drumsets. They are also a beginner set. I would suggest standing clear of big brand names. Anything can be made to sound good if you know how to do it.

Hi,

I suggest taking private lessons first. That is will let her see exactly what drumming really is and how practicing music (if she never done so before) is sometimes challenging. If she still want to get some lessons, then that means it's a good idea to buy a drumset! I don't recommand going for really cheap kits (often under 600$) as they won't be very convenient due to dome hardware limitations. Cheap Yamaha kits and classics entry-level Pearl Export will do a great job for many years. Considering used kits can be a good idea as you can get a very good kit for not a lot money. Just be sure to check if the kit is OK before buying (if you have a drummer friend, ask him to take a look). Plus, going for an electronic kit might not be a very good idea too. Lots of people see advantage in those drums because they are «soundless». However, if you don't pay 4000$ and more for electronics, the feel will be VERY different from real drums and you be able to do rolls, use brushes, etc. Even with very high-end electronic drums, you can't really do this effectively. Acoustic drums of you are a little serious. As I said, I've had good experience with Yamaha and Pearl entry-level kit. Mapex didn't convince me at all and do not go for no-name kits...

Hope this helps!

+1 on what drossfile said.

And pierreantoine makes a very good point. Does she already have rhythm? Have you heard her tap out beats with her hands that sounded on tempo? In my experience, timing is something than cannot be learned, only refined. If she doesn't have it to to begin with, then it becomes a moot point.

And I only mean this in an encouraging way. IMO, the world needs more women drummers.

Hi,

I've had good experience with Yamaha and Pearl entry-level kit. Mapex didn't convince me at all and do not go for no-name kits...

Hope this helps!

my 2nd set was a pearl export, and after several years i got the tuning to a point where they were pretty damn good, but i would still think of them as a low-mid-level kit (with forum being the entry level, and vision being mid). i've played and heard entry-level mapex kits that were easier to dial in and had far better kick drums (it's a subjective thing, but i've never been a big fan of pearl's kicks, too poofy).

i recorded with a band 13 years ago on a borrowed low-mid yamaha kit from a friend's band, and they sounded great. i'd forgotten that. +1 on yamaha's cheap kits.

she bought a refurbished vintage rogers kit. also some sturdy looking boom stands, one ludwig, one tama. and a set of zildjian cymbals. hi hats crash and ride. a d drum bass drum pedal and we're watching a used pearl hi hat stand. :) she really got into it and spent 1400 on the assembled kit, and there's still no snare. it should be a good one if we can learn to tune it properly.

it looks to me like she'll have the wherewithal to learn. if she has the drive.

she does have rhythm. she can already play guitar she's just worried about the coordination required. but it will be a good thing to have them here anyway because i can use them in my studio even if she decides she doesn't want to drum. but she's showing enthusiasm so i think she'll like it. it will require some patience on my part now, and some ear plugs i think lol.

plus i want to learn to play too. :)

thanks guys.

The coordination thing comes with time. If she's serious and practices every day it won't take that long.

Yeah, that is probably a nice sounding snare.
Make sure she learns how to tune drums.

Whenever I meet someone who is just learning an instrument, I make sure to spend at least the first week tuning. If you are spending that much on these drums, spring for the new heads, and read up online on how to tune some drums. Spend a week getting some nice sounds from each drum before assembling the entire kit. THEN beat on 'em!

Beginner drum kit

hi, i see i'm late, but: a used kit is a really good suggestion. But you can consider also
Pearl Rhythm Traveler 5-Piece Portable Drum Kit
it's about 400$ and is light, has a complete hardware (pedal, cymbals and hi-hat included) and most of all, has a double heads kit: muffled and clear, good for practice and club gigs). And is Pearl

sorry i can't post url yet, but you can find it on
zzounds [dot] com /item--PEART705C31

hope it may help

jesus, that's a damn nice sounding kit to start off with :eek: I think if she turns out not to like playing the drums, she should donate them to me :D

jesus, that's a damn nice sounding kit to start off with :eek: I think if she turns out not to like playing the drums, she should donate them to me :D

ya. and i had suggested to her that she buy a 400 dollar used pearl kit lol. she wanted the drums she wanted i guess. everything had to be perfect. :)

but if she doesn't take to them i'm sure she'd be williing to donate them to you for a price of about 1.8k:eek:

Back