Beginner, I need a keyboard under $400-500... Help!! :)

Feanor IV

Hey there,

I'm in need of a keyboard because of some harmony lessons (I really can't afford a piano :(), and my teacher said I can just buy the cheapest one I find (I'll begin lessons because of the harmony class in a few months). However, I've always sort of wanted a keyboard to record (poor quality stuff, demoing my own songs, help me orchestrate & arrange and work on those ideas easily), so I thought I'd spend a little more. Of course it's a *little* more. So, what I need to ask:

1. I have a digidesign mbox (it doesn't have midi). Can I plug in there any keyboard and use the sound (from an analog out, I suppose) as a sound file, straight in ProTools?
2. Can I use the mbox to write midi through the mbox?
3. I'd like to have some good (for the money) sounds for piano, woodwinds and strings. I don't know if that's of any importance :)

So, can you recommend any model/brand? Any info would be very interesting, really, I know absolutely nothing about keyboards, only that I need and want to get one! :)

Last thing: hopefully I can make it with about $300. That's what I'd really like. But if it's for GOOD reason, I can stretch this up, a bit, until $400-500...

THANKS in advance!! :)
Menelaos Megariotis

Feanor IV said:
1. I have a digidesign mbox (it doesn't have midi). Can I plug in there any keyboard and use the sound (from an analog out, I suppose) as a sound file, straight in ProTools?
Yes.

2. Can I use the mbox to write midi through the mbox?
No. Midi is a control protocol and has no sound. For Midi basics go here.

As far as keyboard recommendations, Korg and Yamaha make solid units and have for long enough that you can find what you need in your price range easily if you're willing to deal thru Ebay. Look for Yamaha CS1X, CS2X and maybe even an S03 - Korg N264, N364, N5 and N5ex.

I'd second those suggestions, but If you plan on using 2 way MIDI communication extensively, with lot's of control change data, avoid the Korg N264/N364 (their MIDI communication is awful). I have one of each N264+N364, and they sound great (thats why I bought one of each), but they definitely are MIDI challenged. If you plan on using the MIDI for basic control of soft-synths, or are planning on doing basic MIDI sequencing in software, and recording the audio track by track (i.e. 1 MIDI channel recieved at a time), they work fine (Alternatively Save your Data as Standard MIDI File, and load in internal sequencer, no MIDI problems internally).

Thanks guys but...., hmmm do you have any idea where I can buy these instruments online? I live in Greece, so I need a store that sells worldwide, or at least europe-wide. Music123 does, but they can't send keyboards abroad (at least the Yamahas, they don't have the Korgs at all), I suppose because they treat them as electronics, rather than instruments..... So, any ideas?

Aaah, one more thing: I'm ok using ebay, but could you tell me some good prices for all of the items you recommended? :D

Thanks! :)

Most of them (other than the N264, which is just a 76 key version of the N364), you can get in the $400-$500. Depends, it's EBAY. You might get one dirt cheap!!!

Thanks for the link fraserhutch. Some of the prices I saw are a bit of base, but they are based on averages, and only a %60 averaging process at that. But resourceful either way, and I'll probably consult it when considering used purchases, but only as an additional reference. Thanks again.

Consider m-audio

I have been using an m-audio keystation 61es for several months, no built-in sequencer (that's why you have a computer!) and I really love the keyboard, and from what I can tell the rest of the m-audio line looks very professional, and well developed. You might check www.m-audio.com for any distributors for Greece. I think you will be pleased with what you find! :)

Hello again & thanks for all the replies. I just wanted to explain that I would like to buy a keyboard with good piano sounds and then good strings & woodwinds, for the price, that is. But what I really want is the best piano sound I can get with this kind of money, although of course I can't something *good*.... Anyway, any other ideas?

DGX's have fairly decent pianos, Strings are decent, woodwinds are fair...Nothing spectacular in these machines. I would say the strong point of these machines are their Piano and Organ sections (I really like they're 60's Organ sound, and the XG drums are good).

Another consideration would be the Alesis QS-6. A new QS-6.2 sells for like $600, so I would imagine you could get a steal on a used QS-6, or QS-6.1 or QS-6.2. All good machines, with really good sounds, and are expandable via ROM cards. Some of the nicest sounds around for the money, but no onboard sequencer (but has software available for sequencing via computer).

Ok, I'm a total loser, so forgive the following questions, about M AUDIO's keyboard:

1. I suppose I can *only* use this with my PC, right?
2. I have an M-Box which comes with a limited edition of Reason. Can I use Reason with this keyboard?
3. Can I write MIDI to my computer through this keyboard? Will I need a "midi interface"?
4. Can I plug the keyboard directly to the mbox?

If someone can help me out with all these things, I'd really be VERY gratefull... :) Ah, and the most stupid question of them all: I obviously will decide through my computer what instrument my keyboard will simulate, right? Please heeeeeeelp :)

Cheers & thanks,
Menelaos

Yes you can use it with Reason. The Keystations can be used with any MIDI sound module or keyboard that has a standard MIDI input connection, alternatively you can connect it to your keyboard via USB (Which is the MIDI interface). So as long as you have a free USB port, you'd be all set.

Sound Module is simply a synthesizer with out the keys, usually a rackmounted or tabletop box. If you plan on using your PC as part of your studio and/or live setup, you would definitely want to consider software synthesizers and samplers. With a Soft-Sampler you could utilize High quality real samples of any instrument for the most life like emulation of said instruments. Look at something like Native Instruments Kontakt or look to Reason's own NN-19 sampler.

Back