...before I sell Pro Tools.....

mattkw80

Hey Guys,

I am 3 seconds away from selling Pro Tools (or simply throwing it in the garbage).

It has severed it's purpose for me for 4 months or so now, but the reality is, the software is a slow and clunky dinosaur of a program, which eats ram and cpu time, and seems to do something quirky every other week. (Like right now for example, it will not record on my new 300 GB hard-drive, because it is not an "audio volume.... and there seems to be no fix for that...... yes I have already gone into WORKSPACE, and TRIED to switch the letter to an (R)".)

Anyway..... Reason is looking good. Really good.

Before I take the plunge......... is there any DISADVANTAGE for me, or any feature I will be missing...... if I get rid of PT, and buy Reaper?

Yes - I am going to keep the hardware I was running with PT. (Project Mix I/O).

But I can't see needing the PT software.

I was worried I might be missing somthing if I switched.

Can reaper do all the MIDI editing that Pro Tools can do ?

Just run REAPER on your PT hardware and then you wont have to make an either/or

I was worried I might be missing somthing if I switched.

Can reaper do all the MIDI editing that Pro Tools can do ?

Im not sure. My thing is audio editing, where for me, reaper hands down smokes pt. Some of it is a diferent type of selection p;aradigm than pt though, so for you guys, people have ben working on macros and things to make it easier and more familiar. Check the reape forums for some of bevoss' macros

What is "bevoss' macros" ?

I am going through the documentation right now.

(Which is SO accessible from inside the program, including all the keyboard shortcuts. How considerate is that? The keyboard short-cuts, right where you need them!!)

Matt

I have Used

1. Cubase

2. Pro Tools

3. Logic

4. Reaper (learning)

5. Reason

1. Cubase was designed around Midi then adapted to Audio.

2. Pro Tools Midi was kind of an after thought as development goes it's actually still a little buggy but has improved.

3. Logic done and still will do i think (i don't use it any longer) both quite well.

4. Basic Reaper Midi editing is, I think better than Pro tools it's almost like a merge of Cubase and Pro tools you would be familiar with the editing of the midi in the sequencer window you have to enlarge the track to "jumbo" then edit.

in Reaper you can record (i can't find any obvious pencil tool?) then you just double click the recording and the midi window opens full view much better than the Pro tools option in this sense like Cubase.

The snap grid is there I didn’t try to Quantize but I’m sure it’s there the velocity parameter etc all there.

So basically yes your Basic midi editing is I think actually better than Pro tools but (not being facetious) that's not very hard as far as Editing goes Pro tools is just bad and backward IMO.

5. Reason is midi - but is limited to the FX inside the Rack as you cannot use VST or DX fx but you can RE-wire it.

Basically Really Reason is What Cubase was for so long Cubase was a midi arranger that would run on a 486 with a big rack of outboard Samplers and Synth etc except in the case of reason even the samplers and synths are computer generated.

Funny really. Great idea.

Last edited:
Wow - thanks for the great descriptions of all that.

I am 99% sure I am going to say goodbye to Pro Tools.

I am using the Reaper 2 beta right now, and it is really solid.

Seems to do everything I need.

It's just too bad there is no way to run RTAS plugs in it.

in Reaper you can record (i can't find any obvious pencil tool?)

Open the MIDI editor and double click to add notes. No tools to select! You can change how you add notes via the preferences if you don't want to double click every time. You can select notes by right clicking and dragging, and delete them with the delete key (if i remember correctly).

This Reaper 2 Beta rules.

I wish I had not dropped $300+ early summer to buy Pro-Tools.

My biggest beef with Pro Tools is it's LONG loading time, and the amount of CPU it sucks.

Reaper prooves that long load times and CPU hogging is totally unnecessary.

oh yes

I'm with you on that load time with PT.

i've often decided to walk out of the room go do something then come back.

basically it's just an all round bad design becasue Digi desigen decided that it was you the Customer that was at benifit to be using their bad product.

unfortunatley they still think they have a means of production monopoly.

did you hear about Radiohead not re-signing with a major and selling their new album off of their website for whatever you want to pay them for it?

interesting...this will be a nice test of the free market principals i was speaking of earlier.

they also relate to Reaper.

Same principal

Really?

How do the relate to Reaper ?

with Reaper the designer moved from a large corp, and now is selling a free market system "reaper" giving no solid obligation to pay.

Radiohead are doing he same thing here, just a few variables of the equation are different..

Back