Been Rapping For 7 Months Give Me Feedback!

You sound very good for 7 months of rapping. But rapping about violence, smoking blunts, cars, how much you "drop bombs" haha. That's a bit of a cliche man. I don't know you, but are these lyrics really THAT meaningful? Also you curse a lot haha. I would recommend cursing less because, when you do curse, it's THAT much more powerful. This is only advice so don't take offense. I know i didn't follow a lot of advice I was given about guitar playing haha.

Honest feedback - mix wise - all the songs lack low end and mids. It's like playing rap in a car with only tweeters :)

The lyrics bore me. I've heard it all before. It'd at least be better if the lyrics were a little less generic. I can name about 903487 other rap songs that essentially say "you don't know where I came from - i don't give a F* what you have to say - my life was/is hard - i can rhyme" and really - that's all I got from your songs...

Just my 2 cents.

I'm gonna second what MadHatterTCM said. I was listening through some pretty decent headphones (Ultrasone PROline 650) and the lack of low end was killing my ears. The vocals need some serious de-essing. Every "SS" , "CH", "ST" sound is harsh, and really pops the eardrums. Second, the lyrical content has been beaten to death man, you know that don't you? It's because of this reason I have pretty much lost interest in hip-hop. Change it up. Tell a story about something crazy that happened to you, or about anything in general that'll make somebody stop and think. That's the kind of thing that makes me buy a hip-hop record. Ok, end criticism..

The reason I say all of this is because I think you really do have potential, and at only 7 months, I think you're ahead of the game. Your voice is crystal, which is important in this genre. The way the words roll off your pallet make for a distinct sound. In other words, your vocal sound is unique making it easy to distinguish you from the rest. I can't stand hearing a million rappers where you can't even tell who's who. The actual music behind the lyrics isn't bad either. Are you producing your own?

Keep at it man, I'll look for more of your work in the future.

The reason I say all of this is because I think you really do have potential, and at only 7 months, I think you're ahead of the game. Your voice is crystal, which is important in this genre. The way the words roll off your pallet make for a distinct sound. In other words, your vocal sound is unique making it easy to distinguish you from the rest. I can't stand hearing a million rappers where you can't even tell who's who. The actual music behind the lyrics isn't bad either. Are you producing your own?

I just wanted to echo this. I also think your voice and talent is great - your words and mix are the only thing that need some work. Different lyrics, and I'd listen to this all the time.

I suppose it could use a little more low end, but I didn't think it all that thin down there. I think the bigger thing, EQ-wise, was the hyped higher end. Like 6K - 10K or so. Makes the mix a little too sizzly.

Vocal delivery was pretty decent. For just a few months on the job, really good. Tight vocal doubling for the most part.

Lyrically, like others have said, seems to repeat a lot of other rap songs.

BTW - I listened to Real Life

I can agree with many of the above sentiments. I am tempted to say that your tracks are very good for someone who has only been rapping for 7 months, but that's kind of a backhanded compliment. I'll go out on a limb and say your tracks are good for anyone. Also, your voice and style are distinct.

I only partially agree with the calls for deeper, more meaningful lyrics. I did have a reaction of "I've heard this before." But not every song needs to be about social injustices or offer new insights. Don't feel like you have to censor yourself, because then you'll just get writers block. Write whatever lyrics come to mind, and record the ones that feel the best.

Junk food has no nutritional value, but that's not to say junk food has no value at all. Similarly, candy lyrics are okay sometimes. Some of my favorite songs have utterly vapid lyrics, but they have a good beat, or they simply allow me to enjoy music without thinking too hard. That's okay sometimes!

thanks

hey thanks everybody sorry it took long to reply. i have been mixing all my own stuff thats why the vocal quality is so crappy im slowly inproving in the mixing department but have been more focused on writing and recording.i live in a small town of counrty folk with no one to work on music with so i have noone to learn from but myself and google wich i choose to do for now anyways. thanks angain for all the possitive feedback!!

I listened to "16 bars".

The music is monotonous. Change it up. The vocal delivery isn't very dynamic, so you could make a bigger impact by keeping the listener interested in the changing soundscape.

Keep it up!

-SC

I listened to "16 bars".

The music is monotonous. Change it up. The vocal delivery isn't very dynamic, so you could make a bigger impact by keeping the listener interested in the changing soundscape.

Keep it up!

-SC
yea that track sounded strange to me aswell but it seems to be one of the ones people like the most. thanks for the feedback!

You should of spent the last 7 months learning something that takes real skill, like playing an instrument. It took me less than 10 seconds to turn it off. Because there is a million other guys with fruity loops doing the same damn thing and none of them are taking the music to new heights. There is no real message here. Keep on mixing that's a good skill to have and like I said there are a million other guys who need someone to record and mix their cloned fruity loops music. So, that is a real skill right there :D

nah not at all i thought it was awfull the beat was garbage his lyrics where meh and i truely think he has no skills and is quite frankly a joke.......

Hey bro, I checked it out... I'm a musician who plays Electric, drums and bass primarily and spends a lot of time mixing. I also sing, but I don't agree with the guy who said you're wasting time developing this skill... rapping isn't as easy as people think, I know because I used to think I could do it and found out after a year of writing and trying that I really suck(still have a love for hip-hop though.)

I thought it all had a lo-fi sound, the new mix of "Monster in Your Dreams" sounded nice to me, more low-end and a more deep sound... but the good thing I'd say is that you don't have that generic radio sound... you kind of remind me of KRS-ONE and other more underground rappers. For 7 months this is much better than many... I'd work on solidifying your voice tone and finding a specific sound that you like. Also, I do agree with the others about language... I have seen a lot of freestyle-rap battles and one of the most profound was where this dude just tore another rapper apart and only had to use one curse word. It showed real lyrical ability on the spot, and then it makes it more significant if and when you do decide to use it. It totally humiliated the other guy, and shocked the crowd too. I would say keep at it man, probably try to invest in a good condenser mic for your vocals... it will make a big difference. And another note on the language, I definitely am not trying to say "don't be yourself" or "be a sellout", but just try to be strategic about stuff... besides, who you are is more than how much you swear.

Anyway, those are just my thoughts... chew on them a bit and make your own decisions dude. I really do think you have a ton of potential either way... the best thing any one of us artists can do is keep a humble attitude and be ourselves.

You've got a ton of potential, man. Keep it up! Great flow and overall sound/style for someone relatively new to things.

Back