Been a while... Got a new one

It's promising. I like the old school sounds. To me, the mix is one-dimensional. Every sound is loud. There is no foreground, middle ground, and background. That arpeggiated lead synth on the left was overly dominant. The synth bass and everything else had to be loud as well to be heard.

Of course it depends on what you're doing with this. If its purely dance music for people to shout over at a club, it's fine. If you're interested more in electronica where the tracks are supposed to stand up to repeated listening and work as compositions, it needs a more delicate approach to mixing it, rather than just turning everything up.

Good job.

Appreciate it! Yeah, that was something I was having trouble deciding during the mix down. Maybe I'll try to remix it and see what happens. Thanks for the feedback!

So is it overall just too loud because speaking strictly in terms of eq I thought things were sitting pretty well. I do see your point on background/foreground - I'm not sure if this song is meant to be delicate like that. And yes, it can be tiresome on the ears I agree. I just want to make sure when I go to remix that it's not as easy as just a couple of faders... if that's all you think I need which ones would you go to first?

TheLurker

In my opinion, it's less about moving a fader or two and more about sculpting the composition in an artistic way. I will say the composition seems to lose a bit of its focus after about 2:00 or thereabouts. If you're making dance music, you'll clear the dance floor at that point. Too many trippy tremolo effects and not enough beat to dance to. If you're making electronica, you might not be worried so much about that, but you still need to think about the momentum of the track, which you lose a bit in the later parts.

A good electronic piece is a journey where the landscape is constantly changing along the way, things come into and out of view, some are seen close up and others far away, you're never quite sure how you got from point A to point B. I love electronica. However I don't make it myself. It is too complicated and dealing with all the technology kills my inspiration.

I hope you'll take a few moments to listen and comment on other songs on the forum. The MP3Clinic is a cooperative endeavor of musicians based on reciprocity.

Yeap, whenever I post I always make sure to comment on others' work - just haven't had any time yet.

Yeah I can see your points, and they are valid. Reality checks suck sometimes... Oh well, that's what I needed to hear and I'm taking the criticism positively - it will only help better my productions. Thanks again! :D

TheLurker

Back