Bedroom Studio Question

Thomas

I'm using a 10' x 9' bedroom as a studio for voiceover production. I record at my desk directly in front of a curtained covered window. It works out not too bad with the exception of a slight echo and hollow sound. I was thinking of placing acoustic treatment on each wall. How do I determine the size and quantity needed? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

What kind of money do you want to spend, the little kind or the alotta kind? There are kits you can purchase for $220 up to $1500 for typical rooms. Check out MusiciansFriend or FullCompass for your particular needs. You can also get used full length curtains. I recommend going to aularex or sonex to see what kinda kits are available in your price range, then experiment in a configuration that your ears like prior to permanently fastening them. Try using four, 2'x4' pieces on each wall, try to space them equally with gaps in between them around 3 to 8 inches. Remember to do the ceiling as well if you can. You can intermix the auralex with curtains. Good luck.

Peace,
Dennis

Thanks Dennis, I'll check out your recommendations. The money factor is not a great concern. Another question, would there be a benefit of having the curtain window at my side and face a wall covered with the acoustic treatment or would there be little difference?

Thomas,
My first concern would be sealing the window enough that outside noises don't get picked up on the voice over, so having the window behind you would be the simplest solution, that was the vocalist is acting as a barrier. Which reminds me to have the door covered as well since its a big reflective surface too. Try this place to, http://www.acousticfoam.com/afoams.html it has quite a variation of products and prices.

Peace,
Dennis

Have to dissagree with you atomictoyz..placing thewindow behind you is not a good idea. The aim is to make the wall behind you dead to eliminate rear reflections coming back at you.

I'd go and get a couple of packs of pink batts/rockwool or similar and cover the rear wall and the ceiling above the console with it. You can cover the fibreglass with cheap cloth like burlap. It's cheap and effective.

cheers
john

Thanks for your help guys. I appreciate it. Outside noise is not a problem since I live on a lake and fairly remote. I've now got a weekend project ahead of me.

John Sayers said:
..placing thewindow behind you is not a good idea. The aim is to make the wall behind you dead to eliminate rear reflections coming back at you.

Thomas said:
a curtained covered window

My assumtption for putting the window behind was driven by the window was already covered with existing treatments. I assumed also that they are pleated curtains which work well for deadening that particular area. I also assumed that the hollow with the slight echo was caused by the untreated areas and not the window, which I also assumed was no larger than 24 inches by 54 inches.

My windows are covered outside by 3/8 inch think by 3 1/2 inch wide Cedar strips. On the inside there was a 10 inch deep cavity, the window faces a street so I put carpet on the window itself, then 2 layers of fiberglass batting. Im going to cover the fiberglass with some birch with slots and covered it with some sort of airbrushed fabric with a pretty picture making it look like I live on a lake :0)

If you would like anymore advice please contact:
Assumtions-R-Us
Seattle, Washinton USA

Peace,
Dennis

lol Dennis...That was stupid of me, I should have mentioned the window is 6 ft. x 4 ft with a small closet behind me. I'm going to see how it works by keeping the console at the window and take John's advice with the treatment on the surrounding walls and ceiling. Thanks again.

Back