Beauty In Lividity (If you don't love technical death metal, be forewarned)

Murdersgalore

I got a sudden urge to go back to some crazy shit and write some death metal. It's been a while and to me it sounds much better than any of my previous death stuff. There's always room for improvement so I just wanted to see what some metal heads think. Plus I got a new mic and had to do something with it so I decided to scream at it. Thanx in advance.

Beauty In Lividity

Last edited:
This sounds very very good for this genre of music. There were a couple of spots where i thought you sounded like the dude from Bloodbath, and then Nile. Anywho i thought this was very well written, and performed for this genre. Any details about the mix...what did you use. I am thinking SSD, or Superior...with some Revalver, or Pod Farm....am i close? Anyway this would stack up against most death metal these days.

Thanks man. I'm glad to get such positive feedback. You were close in that I am using a lot of emulations here. The drums are Addictive Drums and I'm using the Sonor kit with a mix of Paiste and Sabian cymbals. Guitar is my trusty Ibanez S through an Art Tube MP as a DI going into the sound card where I am running it through the TSE808, the LePou Le456, LePou LeCab2 using two different cab impulses (both the same ENGL v30 cab with slightly different mic placements hard panned and a very short delay between them for a wider stereo effect) and that all goes straight into Voxengo recorder (yes, not a piece of real hardware). I am using Live Professor as a virtual recording rack so I can have all of my shit setup in a nice little file I can just double click on and go. Bass is recorded the same way with the Tube MP going direct into a compression plugin (cant remember which one..I have dozens), TSE BOD which I think is supposed to emulate a Sans Amp and that goes into the recorder. Just a little compression and drive to dirty the signal a bit. The vocals the same way using an MXL 990 into the Tube MP and I am adding some doubling effect with a light distortion (TSE808 also doubles as a good distortion for heavy vocals, good crack up without loosing warm or definition) and Ambience reverb plug in. Damn...seemed like my setup was simple until I started listing all the software I use. lol

Dude.... I don't know jack about death metal, but this was awesome. To be honest, it didn't seem like it was making my ears bleed enough. The guitar tones / vocal tones seemed a bit soft in the 2K-3K range. I found it quite nice, as the sonic attributes of the whole package didn't make me want to tear my ears off, like others in this genre do. Also, the insane tempo of the song usually lends itself really well to making a mess of things, but this sucker just rode it like a wave. Mega kudos, man. Sorry I can't help more, but I really don't know anything about this genre.

Steamroller James!
Sounds just right, technically near-perfect and the growling and screaming is as good as any other professional stuff in this genre.
Nice work!

Lol. That's pretty ridiculous, so, I guess it's just right. The barrage of kick drums is really annoying, but again, I guess it's supposed to be that way. Surprisingly enough, the mix seems pretty balanced to me (remastered version). I can actually tell what's going on. Guitars are vicious without being obnoxious about it. Vocals seem just right. I'd like to hear slightly less kick and more of the rest of the kit though. I think there's room to bring the kicks down a little and still have them beating us in the face. Overall though, I'd have to say this is definitely one of the better home recorded death metal songs I've heard in here. Most of the DM that gets posted in here is unlistenable shit.

I went back and tweaked on the drums a bit more. I cut the kick back a bit and tried to add a little more body to the toms. It seems this helped me gain a whole db of headroom to squeeze volume from. I have yet to find a plugin or sample set with toms I am 100% happy with (It seems all are most concerned with kicks and snares) but now it seems you can actually tell what the "drummer" is doing. I think after this I'm gonna stick a fork in it.

Original (same as top of thread linked down here for your convenience :)
Remastered
Re-remastered

Back