Beautiful

Whoa - you swung right around with this one compared to spectacle - kinda metal-ish. The drums are meh but they work. The vocals are a wee bit louder than the rest of the mix, I might pull them down a db see of they sit more within the song. Your vocals have a nice edge on them which is really in demand by certain singers - is that totally you or is there some effect on them?

I'm redux on the vocals right now - they were too loud, and scratchy. No effects; the 'flange' or 'edge' might be the low pitch, almost talking batritone vocal I hide in the back of the 'clean' and 'yell' lead.

The drums are the bain of my existence... I just ordered an Alesis D6 set; no more robot once I get 'em.

I redid the guitars too; used my strat & my stang with a little pan. This tune is more metaly, but I wanted a fuzzy cheap stang sound to keep it in the garage, so to speak.

Question: How is the engery level on this mix?

Thanks.

The drums are the bain of my existence... I just ordered an Alesis D6 set; no more robot once I get 'em.

I used my strat & my stang
Question: How is the engery level on this mix?

I want a stang :D

The drum tone seems to not blend too well with the other sounds. Since it's high it sort of crushes the other tones.
I look forward to hearing it with your new kit :) Im sure that'll take care of everything.

Answer: The energy level is high

P.S- Love the bridge.

//

Thanks. I was worried about being too old to rock, energy wise. NOT! ;) :cool:
I hope the new kit sounds better, but it'll be me on the throne; I haven't drummed in a few years. Gonna be a learning curve.

Stangs are great, but always have a strat. It's the guitar, IMO.

Last edited:
Hold it....either something's wrong with my system or the hihat is your favourite instrument....:eek: Sorry, but this mix is a mess. The only thing I hear from the drum-kit is the hihat. The voice sounds like it was recorded 2 rooms away. The guitars sound like they're made of tin. Only the bass seems to have a good tone. Pity, I thought the tune was pretty interesting.

yes, there must be something wrong with your monitoring. try to listen on different systems (car, ipod, kitchen-radio, etc.) & compare to commercial tracks.
i would "reset" this mix & start from scratch. try to avoid extreme EQ-settings & start with just leveling of the tracks.

I was about to say reset this to zero and start from there...it sounds like its been way over processed..the drums have all but disappeared and the whole mix has a faraway mono feel about it..

Just work with the volume levels and nothing else at first...the drums shouldnt need much attention if they are a programmed beat, which I think suits this style...then bring up the bass and vocals to fit in before anything else

Uhh.... complete and total lack of low-end here. Scrap and re-start from scratch... It's like everything on the EQ is set to -60 from 4K down. Not good. Couldn't listen to the whole thing like this.

Well, that tanks. :confused:

Something weird betwix my comp and soundclick (and maybe my ears). I redid the mix w/ almost no trebs, and still has too much. Kooky. So, a less treblily version is up. It sounds a bit better.

SoundClick artist: Matty Sebastian - It's music to listen to.

(Edit: What's up now is no EQ .wav to .mp3-320. Dry.)

Well, I'm going to recut this tune apon arrival of my D6 drums anyhow. I might just wait, rather than recut or remix everything.

Thanks for the heads up guys. And the help. :cool:

Last edited:
it does sound better but still has much of the mentioned problems..the high hat is very overpowering..and its still very mono/narrow and overprocessed sounding, are you heavily compressing the whole thing??

I like the idea of machine drums in this..Id love a chance to remix this when you get finished with it, and if you wanted too of course, I think its got loads of potential as a Big Black style tune

Hold it....either something's wrong with my system or the hihat is your favourite instrument....:eek: Sorry, but this mix is a mess.

Nothing wrong with your system. I hear it the same way. Thin, tinny, and all hi-hat. I'd definitely start this mix from scratch and lay off the effects, and EQ and compression, etc...until you get a good balanced mix without any of that.

I like the idea of machine drums in this..Id love a chance to remix this when you get finished with it, and if you wanted too of course, I think its got loads of potential as a Big Black style tune

I'd be super fine with that. I'm doing this all on my old Tas DP1 though. Only way I know of getting it to you is as a .wav, somewhat premixed.

Yeah, I did something to the drums EQ-wise when I recut the guitars & vocals yesterday. They blow. As mentioned, this tunes gets redone when the drums get here, so I most likely will just leave this as is, and start fresh. This was really just an idea scratch version anyhow. The song itself seems to have merit; I'll go with that. :)

Thanks again dudes. :cool:

well if you ever get them down to individual wav files id love to have a go..if not look forward to a new version laters :)

others have said it, I'm not crazy about the way this sounds, but it's a good song and a great performance. No shortage of energy!!! Just hasn't quite been captured right. I look forward to hearing your next go at it:)

others have said it, I'm not crazy about the way this sounds, but it's a good song and a great performance. No shortage of energy!!! Just hasn't quite been captured right. I look forward to hearing your next go at it

Wow, I 'preciate that.

Any chance some of you could critique the songwriting on my other recent post? It's right here:

https://homerecording.com/bbs/general-discussions/mp3-mixing-clinic/spectacle-life-319266/

It's another one I'm going to recut after I get my drummage. I would like to hear yer ideas. Some have commented already; thanks. I like to know what you guys who have been at it while think.

Thanks. :cool:

Back