beats with triton

Botinok

Hello. Im wondering if i can get some help here. Right now i have a home studio set up for vocal productions for hip-hop. basically, i record vocals, send it through my chain of processors and compressors, eq it, mix it in with a premade beat, master it, and send it out.

Iv been wanting to get into making beats for a very long time now, because i listn to all types of music and have a lot of ideas sitting in my head. I tried a couple times to use sony ACID, but i cant seem to grasp making music with a mouse, its really frustrating to me and not intuitive. I like using my hands.

So ive been saving up for a workstation, and have settled for a Korg Triton Extreme 61. i will be ordering it within the next month. Now i understand that i must read the manual, and i will def. do that..but i have questions about the concept of beat makeing

mainly, the drum looops. I know that the triton comes with loops premade, but most drum loops that are used in beats are made by hand..right? and are the loops usually done with the triton or are they usually done in a sequencer such as ACID and then the melody etc. is done on the triton?

i have other questions as well, so if anybody can spend a couple minutes talking to me on AIM or email let me know..if not just post here..

thanks alot!

Botinok said:
but most drum loops that are used in beats are made by hand..right?
Right.

The loops in the Triton or any other keyboard are called 'presets'. If anyone has or has listened to the Triton those loops will be something they will spot right away. And that's bad for you and for your credibility as an original artist if you're using the preset material either from ignorance or laziness.

The basic procedure involves tapping out a one bar, two bar, four bar, eight bar drum beat, looping it and playing melodic parts over it. The Triton lets you set up the various sounds you will need in what's called a Multi patch.

If you get a Triton and intend to incorporate the computer in your music making process you will have to at least come to terms with the mouse. Control surfaces and drum pads will only get you so far, and once you get started you'll find that the mouse is not so bad.

Have you considered something like the M-audio Tigger Finger or the Akai MPD-16? These are cheap (<$150) drum pads that will give you a much better feel for creating beats. You can plug them right into your Triton to trigger sounds. The layout of the pads is similar in design to the Akai MPC2000.

Although, some people do just fine making beats with keyboards.

yeah..i was gonna ask..i see a lot of major producers ucing the MPC....and it just boggles me why....its more expensive then something like the triton..and it seems like the triton can do wayy more then an MPC...the way i see it the only difference between the two as far as beat making is that in the trton the keys are all lined up and in the MPC its more of a box..but with the triton its also a synth and a sequencer etc...

why would people prefer the mpc, besides the configuration of the bottons?

The MPC is a drum sampler, a standard sampler and a midi sequencer all in one.

You are correct that it is a very different product with a different approach to music production - not better or worse, just different. With the MPC you add samples to the machine internally and sequence external sound modules with the midi tracks and that requires an additional investment.

If you think the Triton will be the machine for you by all means buy one. You can't go far wrong with either one and it comes down to a matter of personal preference.

I have an MPC but I don't have a Triton. The mpc does not have any sounds in it. you have to load samples into it. You can also play the sounds of a synth module or a keyboard (triton for example) with the pads on the mpc if you turn on a function called auto chromatic scale and use the mpc as a main sequencer. I think the most common way of working with an mpc and midi keyboards is to sample drum sounds into the mpc and make the rhythm tracks there and use the keyboard for synth lines, basslines and melodies. and sequence it all in the mpc.

Hi,

I have a triton studio 88 and am always learning. I think with the triton there will be a bit of a learning curve right off the bat. Making beats with it can be easy once you get use to the crazy sequencer. I started out with a roland w30 and i suppose i'm still use to the way rolands sequencers are made... user friendly. The triton will allow you to do just about anything you could dream of.. and it is far better than any keyboard i've every owned.

Well I own a Triton, MPC, Motif ES, Mophatt'', Reason... well.. you get the picture. Each piece works in it's own special way and is fully capable of making a beat all by itself. If you plan on sampling a bunch of old records and what not and making beats from those the MPC would be the way to go. If you like synthy sounds and can peck out a decent melody the Triton is the way to go. If you enjoy realistic sounds the motif. If you like step recording Reason. you get what I'm sayin? It really comes down to how you like to work in the end.

Will

Thats true, though I found that the Roland Fantom allowed me to either make beats with samples or entirely on the keyboard... You can technically do that on the Triton too, but I found it much easier on the Fantom (especially coming from the world of MPCs).
And as far as drum patterns, I do find the Tritons drums and effects very user friendly for quickly coming up with hot drum patterns, and I've found that if you know how to use the preset rhythms in innovative ways, they can be useful too

I have Triton Studio 76 (I used many keyboards and synths before like, Triton Extreme, Roland VA76, Korg Trinity, Roland G-1000, and more..),
FL-Stuido XXL, Reason 3.0, Cakewalk Sonar...
of all that I have, I use Triton the most, for beats and music... Its really fast and easy to make music on triton, and results are very setisfying especialy for modern music..
if you record and mass up, press compare/undo and you're right back at the bar where you have to start, its not like those Arranger keyboard sequencers when you record a part press stop and have to wait for a long time untill that data is processed.

Drum loops?.... I have tons of AUDIO drum loops and samples on my Triton's hard drive, i use them in my sequences... Also Triton lets you load AKAI samples!! lots of great song making features: like: patterns, RPPR, CUE list, track looping...
when i try to make music on te computer, it makes me tired :rolleyes: all that mouse clicking.. makes me loose ideas...

here this is all you really need to know, leave the loops alone and start creating good patterns with those triton drumkits.

Also to answer about the mpc, the mpc is a good robust sampler, but it is true, you could get farther with a keyboard workstation. But for hip hop that good linn drum swing is on the mpc, and the swing just sounds better on there imo.

Back