Beatles Find!!!

k1enneth

I picked up this great book "The Complete BEATLES Recording Sessions" by Mark
Lewisohn yesterday. It was written by a session engineer at all the major recording dates at their studio at Abbey Road and goes into various informative detail about songs, musicians, track, takes, and mixes. Maybe not exact detail that we need, but certainly goes beyond gossip. I realize that it wasn't only great songwriting or great musicians and engineers, but the ability to break thru all conventions of recording that defined their legacy. The book comes in hardback and soft cover. I picked it up for $7.99 at Waldenbook bargain book rack.

You'll never listen to the Beatles the same way again once you read where all the splices are. Read the section on Strawberry Fields.

Track Rat said:
You'll never listen to the Beatles the same way again once you read where all the splices are. Read the section on Strawberry Fields.

Every time I listen to this song now, the splice at about the 1 minute mark(let me take you down 'cause I'm going to...) sticks out like a sore thumb. It's still cool though.

Beatles find this!

I find songs and sounds that I couldn't figure out how THEY got the sound. Like
"My Guitar Gently Weeps", there is a high pitched sound that you thought was a flangey type guitar chords playing in the background. Then you read that Harrision overdubbed organ chords played high up on the keyboard as the true instrument. It drove me crazy over the years to not know what was used. You can find that similiar sound on "Badge" by Clapton. And to a lesser degree it's a relief to know that Harrision was using some Indian table harp, not some weird guitar tuning to get the variety of sounds. The odd splice parts ain't no big deal.

Back