Beatles Cover - Dig A Pony

steelphantom

Hi guys,

Just wanted some opinions on this Beatles cover I recorded a few months ago for a friend of mine. Here's the link:

The Beatles - Dig A Pony

Everything was tracked through my Mackie Onyx 1620. Here's a quick rundown of some equipment used:

Drum mics: Shure Beta 52 on kick, Audix D2 on snare, Studio Projects C4 on OHs, Sennheiser e604 on toms
Guitar mics: Shure SM57 and Cascade Fat Head 2
Bass: Orange Terror Bass DI
Keys: Nord Stage
Vocals: Audio-Technica AT4040

Hope you guys enjoy! Thanks!

Not too bad...the vocals sound a little flat at times....maybe it's because I'm so used to hearing Lennon singing it !.
Overall very nice job on this.....I do think sometimes you're holding back vocally on this......I'd love to hear you let it rip

YouTube - Up Above My Head

Not too bad...the vocals sound a little flat at times....maybe it's because I'm so used to hearing Lennon singing it !.
Overall very nice job on this.....I do think sometimes you're holding back vocally on this......I'd love to hear you let it rip

Thanks. This is actually my friend singing this. He played guitar and sang, another guy played drums, and I played bass and keys. I agree that the vocals are a flat at times. He's not the strongest singer ever. I just left them as-is rather than trying to pitch-correct them. Thanks again for the comment!

Yeah, not too bad - nice job musically. I would say you should fix the vocals with something like Melodyne or just re-sing. I would also double track the vocals and add some distortion to them for that authentic sound.

pitch correct the vocals to the point just before it becomes obvious, then bring them up, maybe some more effects.

Honestly? get the guy doing scales everyday to get his voice into better shape with pitch and tone, you can dowload mp3's of vocal scales and interval training that would help. After a few weeks of that you should have a slightly better singer on your hands, no offense to him now of course ;)

Okay, okay this isnt the vocal forum, but the dude has potential if he has the will to work on it...

But the music is nice :D

Lots of comments about the vocals! I can't say I disagree with any of you. Haha. Any criticisms on/suggestions for the mix? Thanks for all your comments, guys!

The vox could be a bit brighter & louder - double tracking would be a great option.
If anything you sound just a little too laid back.
Some parts of the vox remind me of bits of Horslips.
Music is pretty well captured but needs a bit of high end sparkle.

The vox could be a bit brighter & louder - double tracking would be a great option.
If anything you sound just a little too laid back.
Some parts of the vox remind me of bits of Horslips.
Music is pretty well captured but needs a bit of high end sparkle.

Thanks for the comments! Listening to this again, I do think the vocal needs to be louder in the mix. Tracking vox again isn't really an option, so I may try making a double of this track and just shifting it forward and panning it to add some depth. To add some "high end sparkle," do you think I need to add some highs to the entire mix, or only on certain tracks?

Back