beat making help...

"because so many people use it".

^that was the intital turnoff to the site for me.
before i started making beats, thats usually where i would get 'em.
but i dont like conventional "mainstream" beats, which meant days and days of digging through bullshit to find one good beat. its too easy to get lost among every other producer on that site.
then again its free, so i guess it couldnt hurt.
ill most likely set up an account soon.
and then in the future, ill spring for my own site.

ethos said:
"because so many people use it".

^that was the intital turnoff to the site for me.
before i started making beats, thats usually where i would get 'em.
but i dont like conventional "mainstream" beats, which meant days and days of digging through bullshit to find one good beat. its too easy to get lost among every other producer on that site.
then again its free, so i guess it couldnt hurt.
ill most likely set up an account soon.
and then in the future, ill spring for my own site.

I understand what you mean. I usually can hear one or two tracks and know what I'm dealing with. But it is absolutely free, so because of that I'm doing both a soundclick and my own site. I found a good deal on some site space.

it's at web.com, but there's also ipower.com and dreamhost.com too. web.com has monthly fees which is what I want for now.

i need to set up a soundclick account, then i'll post a few. dont get your hopes up though, im only about a month into beat making.

Don't downplay what you can do. It can kill your confidence. I wouldn't bash you but I might give you suggestions on things to try to help you out.

yeah i think i was talking to ethos -- whoever had the beats that could be listened to . . .

FIEVA -- IS THAT A STANDARD comment about not bashing folk for their beat making skills? or just a policy amongst friends?

and another thing -- what is the point of having a keyboard like the yamaha motif and the korg triton if people still dont want to use the sounds that come with it?

gullyjewelz said:
yeah i think i was talking to ethos -- whoever had the beats that could be listened to . . .

FIEVA -- IS THAT A STANDARD comment about not bashing folk for their beat making skills? or just a policy amongst friends?

If you're talking about my don't downplay yourself comment, that was just encouragement. I don't bash people for skills, because we all sucked at one point or another when we were learning. I just drop knowledge like knowledge was dropped on me when I was learning how to do things.

If you can't show confidence in what you do, how do you expect anyone else to. The easiest thing for you to sell should be yourself, which is a lot of what people do.

Does that make sense gully?

man i hate that shit too....if you gotta say something negative then don't even waste time sayin' it unless you got something positive or helpful to say along with it.

No no. I told you I dug the track. I just thought that you can mix it better. The track itself was good, beat went with the verses and the chorus. If I wasn't feeling something, I'd flat out tell you I didn't dig it.

oh my bad
i didnt see the other response

hell im really at a loss for words wehn it comes to mixxing . . . i usually just re-record somethin to try and make it sound better . . . which certainly is not a panacea in these circumstances

any one wanna do a mix for me? u r welcome to it!!!!

I mess up with my mixes sometimes too. I record my vocals in Cubase SX. I just record the whole thing dry with no effects at all. Then I copy the whole session into a duplicate folder. After that I use the original folder for all my effects and eq's. That way if I don't like the final, I can start from the beginning once all the vocals are recorded and redo it all. I take extensive notes on paper for each song when I do it so that if I need to go back, I have a log of all the changes I made so it saves time. I have a few tracks that I did a while ago but I scrapped them because I felt that I could do better.

What are you using for your vocals? Oh yeah, and by the way, did you get a chance to check out my music on soundclick?

so i just setup a soundclick account. i gotta wait 24 hours so they can verify it though.
how exactly do i upload the beats? im guessing i need to turn them into MP3s?

ethos said:
so i just setup a soundclick account. i gotta wait 24 hours so they can verify it though.
how exactly do i upload the beats? im guessing i need to turn them into MP3s?

Yeah, encode them into mp3s. There's lots of free encoders on the net if you google. I use CDex for that. And usually that 24 hours is a standard statement. I had hifi on my tracks only a few hours after I uploaded them. I created the account shortly before.

aiight do that then. I'm thinkin about holdin off on getting the triton and adding an mpc with some better monitors to my arsenal so I'm scopin out ebay.

Back