Bealtes Cover - And Your Bird Can Sing

stasz

And Your Bird Can Sing by stasz92 on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Feedback appreciated. I don't have a lot of experience mixing and this one posed as a challenge as it had about 12 tracks total (included percussion overdubs) and the max # of tracks I've previously worked with is 5 or 6. I was using the original recording as my benchmark, although obviously my voice doesn't sound like John's and my guitar sounds pretty different as well. Excuse the guitar flubs, those lead guitar licks are tricky...

I love the song. You have the guitar parts down. Got the bass down pretty well to. They sound pretty true to the original.

Vocals are a little pitchy here and there. They also sound a little "reserved." It was as though you were focusing more on not making a mistake than you were on delivering a great vocal track.

I love the Beatles. My fav band by far. You got the guitars and bass down pretty good. The vocals are a little pitchy but that's OK with me. My son and I have covered LOTS of Beatles tunes so I'm already predisposed to dig any Beatles tunes by anybody.

I love the song. You have the guitar parts down. Got the bass down pretty well to. They sound pretty true to the original.

Vocals are a little pitchy here and there. They also sound a little "reserved." It was as though you were focusing more on not making a mistake than you were on delivering a great vocal track.

Thanks! Listening to it now, a day later, I can definitely hear what you said about the vocals. I think some more stylistic approach in the lead vocals would help me sound a little more like John. And those backup vocals, ouch! I just realized how off they are at some points.

I also just realized than I boosted the lead guitars right at about 5 kHz and it ended up giving them a little bit of a sitar-ish tone. Unintentional, but it does sound kinda cool...

I love the Beatles. My fav band by far. You got the guitars and bass down pretty good. The vocals are a little pitchy but that's OK with me. My son and I have covered LOTS of Beatles tunes so I'm already predisposed to dig any Beatles tunes by anybody.

Thanks man, I'm the same way, I will listen to anyone cover the Beatles (unless they totally butcher them :))

the guitar and bass are good...little loose but I like that...not sure about the drums, the snares a little like hitting a box, can you change the sample? maybe someone with a better knowledge of drums cans help

Vocals are pretty pitchy but you work with what youve got...if you are determined to sing (god knows I try) then it'll maybe be easier to sing in your own compositions as they'll be your key, or try some pitch editing tools??

Im one of the few non Beatles fans on the planet but thats def one of their better songs

the guitar and bass are good...little loose but I like that...not sure about the drums, the snares a little like hitting a box, can you change the sample? maybe someone with a better knowledge of drums cans help

Vocals are pretty pitchy but you work with what youve got...if you are determined to sing (god knows I try) then it'll maybe be easier to sing in your own compositions as they'll be your key, or try some pitch editing tools??

Im one of the few non Beatles fans on the planet but thats def one of their better songs

The drums are actually an acoustic drum set (not sampled) but the drum head on my snare drum is pretty old and worn out, so it sound pretty dead. Just what I had to work with, definitely gotta replace that head soon...

I actually might be able to try sampling drums on this recording, the whole song is literally just bass drum, snare drum, and hi hat, with one cymbal crash thrown in.

if its multi-tracked you could just replace the snare either by hand or with a replacement programme??

or just leave it....if its just a cover for fun dont worry about it, sometimes we strive for perfection that isnt necessary all the time, I just thought it was a wee bit boxy :)

There's a great take of this on the Beatles Anthology series. Paul and George start laughing and can't stop - but they stay with the take. John sings seriously straight through. I get the sense that John was pissed at them. And they were stoned out of their heads.

There's a great take of this on the Beatles Anthology series. Paul and George start laughing and can't stop - but they stay with the take. John sings seriously straight through. I get the sense that John was pissed at them. And they were stoned out of their heads.

I think my parents have those Anthology CDs somewhere, I'll have to check that out. I do remember listening to a recording of John singing Happiness is a Warm Gun and stopping midway through after playing the wrong chord.

I like it, but as has been said, the vocals are pitchy. Great job overall!

Good effort stasz. Enjoyed it. Big Beatles fan.

Two things: 1) I noticed you're doing the tune in the original key. Sounds like your voice isn't strained when singing it, but did you try changing the key to see how it affected your intonation control? 2) How many vocal takes did you do? I'd bet on the original the Beatles did a dozen or so before they nailed it.

Good effort stasz. Enjoyed it. Big Beatles fan.

Two things: 1) I noticed you're doing the tune in the original key. Sounds like your voice isn't strained when singing it, but did you try changing the key to see how it affected your intonation control? 2) How many vocal takes did you do? I'd bet on the original the Beatles did a dozen or so before they nailed it.

I didn't try changing the key simply because I had learned the guitar parts in E, but that's an interesting idea to toy with in the future. I probably did 2 or 3 vocal takes because the whole thing was just recorded in one afternoon, but I definitely think going back and trying a few more takes would be beneficial. I think on the harmonies I may have only done one, maybe two takes, and it shows.

Reactions: XLR
Back