Be gentle, it's my first time.

elevate

Ok, here's a rough draft of something I've been working on. Opinions and criticism are appreciated. I think I need to tweak the EQ of the kick and bass line that kicks in around 1:45, but not sure what frequency. It sounds fine in my headphones (what I'm mixing on till my Yorkvilles come in), but hits a little hard on my Wharfedales, and is kinda weak in my car.

I only got the vocalist to lay down a little bit of vox, so I just repeated it.

Here it is: Damascus.

Now proceed to rip me a new one.

cool song....reminds me of those 60's acid trips...the drum sound is perfect. I have tried using this sound on several attempts, and you did what I always wanted to do...using this drum sound. Very nice production....and I like the repeat echos. I NEVER got tired of the backwards cymbal for some reason...just never did. Great....perfect minimalism...
I think it is because I like the "submarine sonar" sound so much, the drums, the verbs, space....is why I liked it so much.

I liked the soft punch of the bass line.

Looking at the spectrum display in Winamp it seems EQ'ed OK.

I'd add an effect to the vocals where they alternately (out-of phase) go from full reverb like you' ve got here to full dry.

Then you can get rid of the reverse sound that you repeated a few times and Mixmkr loved. :)

I like the reversed sounds, too! It sounds like someone is sighing at the end of it. Very cool, elevate.

Very cool! sound very nice through my bose's (is that a word?)

gonna add this to my list of buzz tunes! Thx, Charvster

Wow. Thanks for the compliments guys. I'm gonna try to get the vocalist in this weekend to lay down some more vox. I'm at a loss as to where to go with this song though. Part of me wants to make it an 8 minute long journey, but then part of me wants to leave it alone.

Anyway, I got a cookie for the first person to tell me the origins of that first vocal sample in the beginning of the song.

Elavate - great work!

Nice lush production and it just slowly trundles along with a nice relaxing production. I am very impressed.

As for cutting it down, I think you should let it be as long as you feel - I have personally never restricted my compositions based on the length of a song and have hence written 12 minute long songs. Your art cannot be quantacised by time my friend.

Well done!

As for cutting it down, I think you should let it be as long as you feel

I'm not planning on cutting it down, I just don't know whether to continue with it, or leave it be. And if I do continue, where shall I go. I don't really want to switch gears too much as the song, to me, is about the smooth flow. I'm gonna have to fiddle with some various sounds to see if I can complement what's already there.

Back