BATTLE of the Vocal Microphones! (Under $1000) (Video)

Which Mic is your favourite?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

shanetsh90

Foreword

Like many of you, I have been searching for the perfect vocal microphone for my home studio. While many would steer towards microphones by established brands such as Neumann, AKG, Audio-Technica, Rode, Shure etc, I - while owning an AT4040 myself - have decided to go for boutique microphones based on word of mouth by fellow musicians/sound engineers and also forum discussions (Gearslutz mostly).

Parameters

In attempt to test the sonic qualities of each of these microphones with different voice types, I have selected 4 songs from various music genres that utilize separate parts of the male vocal range.

They are:
1. "Fly me to the moon" - Frank Sinatra
2. "All My Life" - K-CI & JOJO
3. "Kryptonite" - 3 Doors Down
4. "Livin' On A Prayer" - Bon Jovi

*To preserve objectivity of the test, i will not post the identity of the mics here. Please refer to the youtube video description if you want to find out which is which. Also, if possible, please drop me a like/subscribe. Your support helps me put content like this up for you guys! Thanks in advance.*

Video:

Please leave a comment to tell me which mic you like best. Also, feel free to subscribe,
follow me on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter [MENTION=200813]MOB[/MENTION]lunk

Till next time, PEACE! =)

I went with B also, but C was close. I didn't like A., but of course in a mix all bets are off. All three carried the mail.

By a hair's breadth I preferred C with B a very, very close second. A was my least favourite.

However, frankly I could have incorporated any of them into a mix fairly happily.

One quibble...looking at the set up, I worry that the mics being so close may have caused some slight changes in normal pick up patterns--and one of the mics was a bit more central than the other two. Probably not critical but maybe just enough to affect the results.

I just listened to the first song. A was too dark. B and C had more going on in the upper frequencies but C was just a little too...not sure what. Like it was picking up more room or had some noise going on up there. B seemed a little smoother and flattered his voice more.

I wouldn't mind having any of them.

I like A, it sounded the most transparent to me. There was some warm buzzy thing going on with the other two. Which was pleasant in a way but you wouldn't be able to ever get rid of it if you wanted.

I thought C - B then A
C had a more balanced feel,
B had nice presence but lacked low
A lacked top and sounded a bit muddy

as others have said Im sure they would all fit in somewhere though and none were nasty.

Back