bassy mixes (way to full sounding)

sepsis311

ok, so when i use my firepod, and record my band time to time, i notice when i play back the cd in the car, its way to bassy and not enough space for each instrument. do you guys typically use low cuts on bass drum and guitars and overheads? lemme know. I dont use a good pair of monitors. I use Sony MDR-7506 headphones. Very flat responce. When i have money i will upgrade, but even without doing that, should my sound be like this when i record? i'll try to post clips.

you have no way of knowing what your mix ACTUALLY sounds like through headphones, no matter how flat the response is :rolleyes: I've got some of the nicest headphones you can buy, but I would never use them to "mix" a song...just as a reference, and to find the sweet spot of a mic

invest in some room treatment, a decent set of monitors, practice, listen, practice, listen, listen some more, practice listening, practice, practice.

sepsis311 said:
I use Sony MDR-7506 headphones. Very flat responce.

man - these headphones have so much top end they will not only render you deaf...but blind as well! :eek:

if you are using just those phones to mix - keep them low in volume and realize that the bass will be close to non existant in the headphones themselves in order for it to translate to other speakers.

for real - i know those sony things are popular...but i have no idea why there hasn't been a class action suit for hearing damage against sony on those. it's be a no brainer. take a hearing test - have the judge and jury wear 'em for a couple hours. take another hearing test. hand out asprin and settlement checks.

edit - just an opine - i know the general consensus is you can't mix with headphones - i used to do it all the time on location on classical gigs. ya- not ideal but it can be done...the same rules apply - know your tools.

Mike

I use the 7506s myself for tracking and for mix detail work. But like any headphone, perhaps a taste more so in the Sonys, they are bass deficient. If you mix for the bass to sound right in the headphones, it will most definitely come out way too bass heavy in the real world.

If you honestly have no choice but to mix in headphones, het the mix to sound right in the phones, and then roll off about 2.5dB/octave with the knee at about 270Hz and see how that works for you. If that's not enough, then roll off a bit faster, or if it's too much, roll off slower. Adjust the knee point higher if your getting too much mud, lower if not enough punch.

G.

As all others have said you really can't get an accurate mix(at least not on the first few passes) with headphones. You need monitors and some decent ones at that. You'll also want to do some treatment so that when you do start mixing on monitors the bass will be that much more accurate.

bigtoe said:
man - these headphones have so much top end they will not only render you deaf...but blind as well! :eek:
Agreed. I hear them as scooped in the upper bass/low mids (or just lots in the bottom octaves) and extremely sharp in the highs.

Great for either an automatic zoom-in on the low end...
or 'instant Alligator Records' eq. :p

Back