bass with tons of sustain?

JTC111

Are there any construction details (or anything else) I should be looking for if I want to buy a bass that can gave a lot of sustain? I've never owned a bass and I know jacksh*t about how construction affects their sound.

I rep for a local builder here in my hometown who makes handmade guitars, and custom patented bass bridges. The bridges definately add sustain over ANY other bridge I have ever heard or that we have tested. They run about $120 a piece. Feel free to send me a PM if you are interested in more info:)

I rep for a local builder here in my hometown who makes handmade guitars, and custom patented bass bridges. The bridges definately add sustain over ANY other bridge I have ever heard or that we have tested. They run about $120 a piece. Feel free to send me a PM if you are interested in more info:)

Again you know somebody? You're like the mayor the whole United States! :D
Having never owned a bass, I don't think I'm up to modding one. I'm just looking for something not too expensive to dick around with. I asked about the sustain because listening to music I like, I hear a lot of bass notes that just seem to ring forever. I'm not looking for anything too expensive. I really know next to nothing about bass guitars. Let's see.... some of the them have 4 strings.... you need a patch chord.... you tune them EADG ....that's it...that's all I know :o

I figure I'll pick up one on the cheap and see how I do with it. Maybe I'll pick up an Ebow too and see if I can get some of those cool Michael Manring sounds.

A nice solid bridge will add some sustain, as will a neck-through bass. On recordings, you might also be hearing the helpful effects of a compressor/sustainer. Sustain is an effect of several factors.

A nice solid bridge will add some sustain, as will a neck-through bass. On recordings, you might also be hearing the helpful effects of a compressor/sustainer. Sustain is an effect of several factors.

A sustainer? Is there a pedal or something for that?

I really have no knowledge at all about electric instruments. I've been an acoustic guitar guy for 30+ years.

Boss makes a compressor/sustainer pedal, but most compressors I think would do the job. The reason why a compressor works is because it takes the quiet tail of the note and brings its level up higher so that it sounds like the note goes on for along time. If you take a compressor and set it with a low threshold, long release time and high ratio, it would make the note ring on a lot longer, but it might start to pump and breathe, making the sound maybe not quite what you wanted at first. If you do that, make the knee pretty soft to maintain a more natural sound. Of course, if you wanted to go electronic-less, heavy slides can help too.

Boss makes a compressor/sustainer pedal, but most compressors I think would do the job. The reason why a compressor works is because it takes the quiet tail of the note and brings its level up higher so that it sounds like the note goes on for along time. If you take a compressor and set it with a low threshold, long release time and high ratio, it would make the note ring on a lot longer, but it might start to pump and breathe, making the sound maybe not quite what you wanted at first. If you do that, make the knee pretty soft to maintain a more natural sound. Of course, if you wanted to go electronic-less, heavy slides can help too.

Thanks for that post. You answered a question I should've asked. :D

elrick bass. the korean models are juice with sustain. His custom models are muy expensive but the imports are well built and have sustain for days. Yeah, it s a plug but the basses are really nice. my .02. I own a nice maple model that performs well. NB: compresor will assist. If I remember, slow attack and long release. Pay not much heed to my recc, as other members on this board have far greater exp. Hope this has been helpful. On a side note have new dog to deal with. Jack Russel. arff.

JTC, I do know quite a few people. I work in the music industry for a living whether it is at my studio, working at someone else's studio, or mixing live. I work anywhere form 20 to 100 hours a week depending on how I feel and how busy things are. As a result, I meet LOTS of different people.

Anyhow, as far as the bass sustain goes, I don't know a ton about basses, but the owner of the local store in my area builds guitars and has patented his new bass bridge. When he was first designing it we did some tests out at my studio to analyze some of its qualities and traits. I have put a few of them several of my basses at the studio and it does increase sustain. The only one I have not put it on is my original Music Man Stingray bass. I have wanted to, but there is this part of me that can't seem to make the Stingray anything besides stock. If you are interested in checking it out, you can see it at http://www.ksmguitars.net/bridge.htm It sounds to me like this is not the right option for you right now, but it does fit this thread and as far as i know it is pretty darned unique. So far most players have noticed a nice difference.

i doubt you'd be able to 'MOD' one, to get the type of sustain you describe wanting in the original post...

the alembic is probably the single best bass that does what you describe you want.

i suggested looking at how they build THEIR basses, so that you'd have a basis of 'construction details' to go looking further.

yes, you could BUY one, that's what you should do, if that's what you want.

adding a better bridge, always helps, but if the bass isn't constructed as well as it should be, the bridge change may only bring marginal changes.

JTC, I do know quite a few people. I work in the music industry for a living whether it is at my studio, working at someone else's studio, or mixing live. I work anywhere form 20 to 100 hours a week depending on how I feel and how busy things are. As a result, I meet LOTS of different people.

I can't tell if you thought I was coming across as sarcastic. I wasn't trying to be. The comments were meant to be complimentary. I really do appreciate the info and the hook-ups :D

I think that one of the other main features you'll want to look for is a neck-through design for the bass. A lot of budget basses have bolt-on necks, and some argue that those tend to have less sustain than neck-through or set-neck designs. I'm not sure that there's much scientific data to back that up, but that's the going lore anyways.

So between the neck joint type and the mass of the bridge, that should give you a couple of features to be on the lookout for as you shop for your next bass.

And I agree about the compressor/sustainer. I use Boss' CS3 on guitar and it can definitely let a note ring indefinitely when combined with feedback from the amp. I've used it on bass a few times, and while it doesn't sound like a top-of-the-line compressor for bass, its serviceable.

So between the neck joint type and the mass of the bridge, that should give you a couple of features to be on the lookout for

Regarding mass of the bridge, are you saying more mass equals more sustain?

as you shop for your next bass.

Next bass? Isn't it painfully obvious to everyone that this is going to be my first? I'm not even sure I'll ever record with it since I know a couple of good bass players, but I'd like to mess about and see what I can do.

OKokok first bass then :)

This is another subject up for debate, but the story goes that more mass on the bridge contributes to more sustain for the instrument. I remember some company marketing a heavy plate you attach to your headstock to increase its mass and therefore increase its sustain. I never bought into it, and I've heard many people rebuke its effectiveness and call it a hoax.

I'm not sure if the same goes for the tailpiece, but a nicer tailpiece is definitely a good thing for other issues like intonation adjustments, action adjustments, and elements of the instrument's tone.

There is a lot of lore around as to what makes for increased sustain - through neck vs. bolt on vs. set neck, heavier/denser bridge structures, brass nuts, carbon fiber necks, ways of winding strings, etc. ad nauseum. Most if not all the evidence is anecdotal.

Go to a music store, try some basses, and see what floats your boat.

There is a lot of lore around as to what makes for increased sustain - through neck vs. bolt on vs. set neck, heavier/denser bridge structures, brass nuts, carbon fiber necks, ways of winding strings, etc. ad nauseum. Most if not all the evidence is anecdotal.

Go to a music store, try some basses, and see what floats your boat.

+1

The individual hunk of wood is going to make a big difference. Sometimes you get a nice, resonant guitar. Sometimes you get a dud. Just play a bunch.

Tadpui, you should have a look at the link that I posted. The bridge in that link probably has less mass than many but uses a whole different (at least I have never seen anything like it) overall design to acheive better sustain.

Back