Bass & Treble In Windows

Orson

Does anybody know how to alter the bass & treble on Windows 10?

I have some Fluid Audio speakers/monitors and in some cases I find them very bassy. But in Windows I can't find anyway of altering the sound. Or does all depend on your motherboard?

My motherboard is a Tuf Gaming X570 plus wifi if that helps.

You could look in "Windows Sound Settings>Speakers>Enhancements" but the exact path and degree of control available will depend upon your MOBO soundcard. Have you checked the back of the speakers? Often some response control switches there.

Re-siting your speakers could help a lot. Generally they need to be well away from walls with the tweeters at ear level and NOT standing on a 'solid to the floor' base.

What audio use do you put the system to? Since you are here at "Home Recording" dare we conclude a 'musical' purpose? If so you need to look at getting an Audio Interface and and recording software (called a DAW) and then you can use an EQ plugin on the speaker feed.

Dave.

Windows used to have a nice little EQ "Enhancement" option in Media Player. Alas.. someone told MS they liked that feature so they immediately removed it.

Here's one that'll fix your wagon : Peace EQ

It can be a PITA to install properly.. maybe not.. it was for me. Just make sure to install the two files in the proper order.

It's highly.. HIGHLY configurable. Maybe too configurable (is that possible?).

This plays nice with my Tascam US-2x2 interface, as well as Windows Media Player, YouTube (any online audio) and all .mp3 files I have scattered throughout Explorer.

My favorite feature is it lets me balance my bass-heavy tracking headphones on quick playbacks.

Last edited:
VLC Media Player has a graphic! Drop your audio in and go>Tools>Effects and Bob's yer whatsit. I found setting it very 'laggy' but I was using the MOBO sound card. Might be better with my M4. Sounds ok once set and you can get the sound you want then save the patch.

Dave.

Attachments

• VLC EQ.png
    VLC EQ.png
    107.5 KB · Views: 3
Windows used to have a nice little EQ "Enhancement" option in Media Player. Alas.. someone told MS they liked that feature so they immediately removed it.
For anyone doing home recording on Windows, that's probably good that they removed it. Few things are worse than trying to review your new mix, and not realizing that windows went ahead and colored your playback without making it obvious.

As far as I know, what @ecc83 described using the Windows "enhancement" features is the only native way in Win 10, but your audio drivers might have other enhancement tools available.

For anyone doing home recording on Windows, that's probably good that they removed it. Few things are worse than trying to review your new mix, and not realizing that windows went ahead and colored your playback without making it obvious.

As far as I know, what @ecc83 described using the Windows "enhancement" features is the only native way in Win 10, but your audio drivers might have other enhancement tools available.
I always accessed it via Media Player to EQ whatever I had playing there. I don't think it affected Windows' system sounds. That is, I was never aware of any direct connection between the two. And of course, now that I'm on Win 10, I have no way of determining.

What about if you use Reaper for editing?

My gripe is that I get it all correct in my headphones, then play the finished track through the Fluid Audio's and it is all bassy.

Some of those monitors have a "punchy bass" switch on the rear. Does yours.. ? Is it on..?

My gripe is that I get it all correct in my headphones, then play the finished track through the Fluid Audio's and it is all bassy.
That experience highlights the differences between working with headphones and working with monitors.

I would generally rely on monitors in preference to headphones, but it does depend on equipment build and room acoustics.

Some Fluid Auio monitors have room compensation switches on the back. Try them and see what happens.

So, which is 'wrong'? Play several and different commercial tracks you know well on both and check the bass levels.

I would say that headphones differ in their response model to model more than speakers but then budget monitors can have an 'over blown' false bass that is initially exciting.

Dave.

I don't use my monitors for casual listening, strictly for mixing. Though I do run a YouTube song now and then to check things out. They're definitely not bass-heavy, even with a front port.

So, which is 'wrong'? Play several and different commercial tracks you know well on both and check the bass levels.

I would say that headphones differ in their response model to model more than speakers but then budget monitors can have an 'over blown' false bass that is initially exciting.

Dave.
Didnt know they were budget Dave, The F4's cost 165.00 euro from Thomann. I should have spoke to you first.

Some of those monitors have a "punchy bass" switch on the rear. Does yours.. ? Is it on..?
No mine havent. Apparently they are only cheap shite.:cry::cry:

To be honest with music they dont sound too bad even though only 'budget' speakers. But with voice they certainly find the deep parts.

Last edited:
Windows media player will still run in windows 10. I still use it all the time. I actually disable the win 10 player. WMA is in the Windows Accessories menu in the start tab/menu.

Windows media player will still run in windows 10. I still use it all the time. I actually disable the win 10 player. WMA is in the Windows Accessories menu in the start tab/menu.
It does run well in my Win 10, but the neat little EQ from earlier Windows OS is missing in 10. I've still got an old XP tower stashed away somewhere which does have that EQ. I wonder if I can drag it over to my current setup..?

It does run well in my Win 10, but the neat little EQ from earlier Windows OS is missing in 10. I've still got an old XP tower stashed away somewhere which does have that EQ. I wonder if I can drag it over to my current setup..?
The EQ is actually still there, WMP 12 just hid it pretty well. If you go to the Now Playing view, then right-click in the main window, then select Enhancements, then Graphic Equalizer, then it'll pop up in its own window.

The EQ is actually still there, WMP 12 just hid it pretty well. If you go to the Now Playing view, then right-click in the main window, then select Enhancements, then Graphic Equalizer, then it'll pop up in its own window.
That, sir, is the best post I've read all day ;) I now recall how well it was buried - in the basement, through a trap door beneath a slab of concrete.

Last edited:
That, sir, is the best post I've read all day ;) I now recall how well it was buried - in the basement, through a trap door beneath a slab of concrete.
I really had to dig around to find it just now...they really tucked it away where few people would ever find it!

Back