Bass traps!??

Roker1

Hello,
I've picked up some large diameter hard cardboard tubes today, from a factory I delivered some stuff to.
I picked these up remembering reading an article on how to make cheap bass traps out of tubes like those.....but now I can't find the article anywhere :(
I'm pretty sure I found a link to it here....so if anyone still knows any links to pages like this, please let me know....I've got an idea how to make 'em, but would like to read the article again....or if anyone has any suggestions how to make them out of those cardboard tubes, please share it...
thanks..
cheers...

John, thanks so much....looks like I scored my self some good tubes to start with, they are about the same size as the ones shown on those sites...thanks again

Cheers..

Roker,

> I've picked up some large diameter hard cardboard tubes <

You can make absorbers out of cardboard tubes, but they won't really be bass traps. If you put enough 703 fiberglass in them you might get down to 100 Hz. But it's really the fiberglass that's absorbing, not the tube or tube shape. If you need to absorb low frequencies you'll do better applying the 703 directly to the walls, leaving an air gap of one to three inches between the 703 and the wall. But to truly absorb bass you need real bass traps, like the ones shown in my plans:

www.ethanwiner.com/articles.html

Look for "Build a better bass trap" partway down the list.

--Ethan

Hi Ethan - was it you who did some tests on these tube things and found that they were'nt very effective?? I remember someone posting some info somewhere about them.

cheers
john

Hi John,

> was it you who did some tests on these tube things and found that they were'nt very effective?? I remember someone posting some info somewhere about them. <

There's not much to test - all that's in them is $3 worth of 703 fiberglass!

My partner bought $2,500 worth of ASC tubes in 1994 (probably would cost $3,500 now) and they did nothing for his small control room. Another friend - a busy pro engineer - spent $12,000 a few years ago and put them all over every exposed wall and ceiling surface in his control room. They helped a little, but not at the lowest frequencies. That's exactly why I started RealTraps - to make available real bass traps that actually work and for a reasonable price.

--Ethan

thanks Ethan, I read your "build a bass trap" article...very useful...I'll keep in mind what you said...thanks

cheers

Back