Bass traps

Middleman

Professional Amateur
Why didn't I do this sooner? Just passing along some friendly advice, if you want to improve the sound of your monitors by at least 30% get some bass traps. I have been reading for years about the need for bass traps in small rooms and kept putting off the purchase yet knowing from all the raves that these are really needed in a home environment.

I had tried Auralex panels and home built tube traps and neither comes close to tightening up a room and revealing your monitors like some good rock wool, 703 or 705 rigid fiberglass panels.

My wife got me 4 of these for Christmas www.gikacoustics.com, the 4 inch panels. All I can say is wow. Do yourself a favor. (I am not connected with the company in any way, just a satisfied customer)

> if you want to improve the sound of your monitors by at least 30% get some bass traps. <

Testify brother. And it will help a lot more than 30 percent.

--Ethan

Ethan Winer said:
> if you want to improve the sound of your monitors by at least 30% get some bass traps. <

Testify brother. And it will help a lot more than 30 percent.

--Ethan

Actually you are absolutley correct. I wanted to put the number higher but people get beat up on their estimates so I was being conservative. The imaging is absolutely incredible, not to rave.

What is really spectacular is that I can be a little more risky with the low mids. It's nice to not have to slice and dice ( high pass and dip). You really can hear the masking going on under 500Hz and make accurate decisions on which source gets to dominate that space. It adds a lot of body to the mix and provides some color choices that prior I could not discern.

hey im like you, i've been putting these things off, mainly because im not sure were should i place them in my room?(any suggestions) my room is very tiny. like 9X6. :o

awsome deal

yea how did you place yours metalhead??? did you actually use in corners as a bass trap or just put on walls flat?? I need to invest in some of these think i might buy a 2 pack and use but i donr know were i should put them :(

Jus my 2c but...

When I put my traps up, I put 2 in the corners, about midway up the wall, to each side of my mixing station and the other 2 behind me in the room where the ceiling meets the other two walls and angled at a 45...

fwiw.........

jhooks, the first two go in the corners at a 45 degree angle so they sit behind your speakers. The next two I placed using the speaker in the mirror trick, i.e. at the first point of wall contact so you knock down any flutter the room may have. That's all so far and it has made a significant difference.

Eventually I will place a couple on the back wall corners but my room is odd shaped and I have enough diffusion back there now. I will also put one on the ceiling at the first point of contact.

If that doesn't deaden things too much that is the strategy. You want control of the low end without sucking the life out of the room.

Metalhead, yes, the first two went in the corners.

Last edited:
Ethan described in his article that you should seat at listening possition and have a friend placing mirror flat against walls, ceiling and on every spot you can see either of monitors should be covered with bass trap.

Im seeking for some 703/705 fiberglass panels in Europe. Does anyone know where in Europe can i buy them?
It would be too expensive to order it from USA.

yeah Ethans links and web is a Smithsonian of info.
at first glance it may look complicted, or did me, but as you re-read the fine print even the formulas are well explained and fairly simple. Talking about your room... at first it was like x/y x z-x/ty...
but its not. its more like 30% of 10ft is 3ft.

its great stuff.

Back