bass traps and broadband absorption

audio_leak

hey all, ive been looking for a way to do some "basic" acoustic treatment, if thats possible? lol

i need to do 2 whole rooms, which are both totally empty, one for a control room, and one set up for live jams, but more importantly vocal and guitar recording. id like to do it in 2 rooms, but is this a good decision or is it going to cause many more problems for me?

im still pretty new to recording (4+ yrs) , but im def new to acoustics so if this is a bad idea and im just completly thinking the wrong thing, could someone familiar with room treatment please give me some idea.

ill measure the rooms up tomorow, but hopefully this image will give you some idea of how my house is setup, the rooms are nearly the same size but the control room is a little bit longer. the bright green squares are the doors.

xlyqs3.jpg

just some other info, to the left side of the control room, is my kitchen, laundry and toliet
and to the right of where the iso/vocalbooth is, is my driveway. just thought this may affect the sound in a big way, so heavy treament may be needed for these areas? and also the bathroom is in between the two rooms, which could be a problem. im not worried about noise from the bathroom, more about if it would affect the sound overall.

so what id like to know is, if making some bass traps are a good idea? where should they be located in the rooms? i mean i know the bass traps go in the corners obviously, but is there anywhere else they should go?
and last one i promise, :) what else can I do to treat my rooms?

i will also take some photos of the rooms, and the hallway connecting them.

really im starting at step one with this, so please keep it basic to begin with if you can.

any help at all will be much appreciated.

thanks for reading.

ive been thinkin about just keeping it in one room and having a well treated room to track vocals in. as thats mostly what i do. i came up with something that i designed based on what ive read. ive got the wood to build everything, and i can afford the 703, so would this placement be okay or am i still totally off?

dz9gld.jpg

the only thing i couldnt figure out is were to put the vocalist, the desk it actually a little smaller then this, its def not to scale or anything. havent been able to find my tape measure so ill post measurements tomorow.

would the vocalist be better off behind me, or in front between the moniters while recording? and would i be better with the desk somewhere else completly? i do mix a bit, but usually i just track vocals and guitars then send them off to my friend for mixing, so maybe i would be better setting the space up for a specific microphone placement?

EDIT: oh and i know the moniters are facing straight at the other wall in the pic, but that just cause you cant spin em easily when drawing in paint. i know they have to be facing me. just thought id add that.

Last edited:
Just an idea, but, you might be better off to put the vocalist in another room. My thinking on this is that when in the same room as you, you will be hearing both the live vocal and the vocal comming through the monitors, this could be confussing to your ears.

ive been thinkin about just keeping it in one room and having a well treated room to track vocals in. as thats mostly what i do. i came up with something that i designed based on what ive read. ive got the wood to build everything, and i can afford the 703, so would this placement be okay or am i still totally off?

This is a MUCH better idea than the last one. The treatment plan looks fine. I'm not sure why tracking in here would be a bad idea...you'd just have to do with a good couple sets of headphones, that's all. You wouldn't be able to use your monitors while tracking of course.

Frank

lol yeah, putting the vocalist somewhere is my only problem now. the picture i did in paint was not very accurate at all, the desk is no where near that size. i just wanted to know if where i placed everything was ok, because im only going off what ive managed to pick up from reading forums, google searches ect ect.

ive set the room up (i had someone renting it before) but now that im in here i actually think theres enough room to still put the vocalist in here for now, till i get around to treating that room properly.

im going to start building corner basstraps either later today or tomorow. i think im safe to start with them cause pretty much every room does.

again if im doing this completly the wrong way and you know, could you just drop me a quick line and tell me so its not all a big waste of time.

thanks

Last edited:
thanks frank,

ive tryed to take in as much as i can about placement of traps and such but its really up to the room your in when it comes down to it, can be quite a confusing subject. thanks heaps for the reassurance though.

Back