Bass Trapping in the Wall-Ceiling corners??

Gorty

I want to add two more bass traps in my room which will be in the Wall-Ceiling corners.

Would the bass trapping be more effective in the front and back wall-ceiling corners over the side wall-ceiling corners or vice versa?

Gorty,

pandamonk is correct - a corner is a corner is a corner (to quote Ethan Winer) - it makes no difference whatsoever to the room.......

the only thing I would concern myself with (if this is a control room) would be placing them symmetrically within the room - this becaue they will also attenuate some mid and high frequencies as well as low - and those are more directional - and thus matter more to your stereo imagery.......

Sincerely,

Rod

Gorty,

pandamonk is correct - a corner is a corner is a corner (to quote Ethan Winer) - it makes no difference whatsoever to the room.......

the only thing I would concern myself with (if this is a control room) would be placing them symmetrically within the room - this becaue they will also attenuate some mid and high frequencies as well as low - and those are more directional - and thus matter more to your stereo imagery.......

Sincerely,

Rod
I'd of said this, but i assumed he knew :P

Would the bass trapping be more effective in the front and back wall-ceiling corners over the side wall-ceiling corners or vice versa?

As others explained, all corners are valid places for traps. But that doesn't necessarily mean that all corners are equal. Which corner locations in a room are best for only two more traps depends on a few things. Ideally you'll trap all of the ceiling corners around the whole room. But for only two traps you can approach this more scientifically. See this page on my company's site that shows how to find the best corners (not just in the ceiling) for your next round of bass traps:

http://www.realtraps.com/lf-noise.htm

--Ethan

Agreed. All corners are valid but which one is best will be deterimined in each individual room by which ones are causing you the problems. Normally, I'll go with the front and/or back - or the end of the longer dimension (modes are lower in that dimension).

Bryan

Thanx Bryan, Pandamonk, Rod and Ethan for your replies. :)

My plan is to keep them symmetrical for the help with my stereo imaging. I have traps in my front corners already and my back corners are inhibited by doors, so this being the reason for placing a couple of ceiling-wall traps. The room is for recording and mixing, so I am trying to find a suitable balance for both activities.

I'm just heading off to read Ethans arcticle. I'll be back.

Thanx again guys! :)

Well I downloaded Ethan's Pink Noise Mp3 and played it through my monitoring system. The results that my ears discerned were that there seems to be more congregation of lows in my rear wall-ceiling corners than the other wall-ceiling corners.
The plan thus far is to construct a bass trap that will go across the rear wall-ceiling corner. I will see how my room sounds after I complete the trap and fix it in position.

Thanx again everyone for your help, I really appreciate it. :)

Gorty :)

The important thing to remember is that the lowest standing waves in a room occurs between a corner and the diagonally opposite corner. If you think of it there are four such corners:

front upper right to rear lower left
front upper left to rear lower right
rear upper right to front lower left
rear upper right to front lower left.

So when adding more traps to a room it would be far more effective to add a trap to one of a currently untreated pair of corners than to add a trap to the opposite corner of a pair that has already been trested.

Back