bass trap height

yorgo

Hello, so I finally got around to making some sound panels/bass traps....question is what height should I put the corner ones at?
They are 4x2 by 3" thick.

Also one corner in the room doesn't space to put a 4x2 because of the closet door. Should I put one there anyways and just take it down when I need to open the closet?
Thanks

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    10.8 KB · Views: 175
Hello, so I finally got around to making some sound panels/bass traps....question is what height should I put the corner ones at?
They are 4x2 by 3" thick.

Also one corner in the room doesn't space to put a 4x2 because of the closet door. Should I put one there anyways and just take it down when I need to open the closet?
Thanks

The ideal height would be to cover as much as the floor to ceiling as you can. More coverage will results in better results in the low end. If they are going to be 4 foot for example then either place them on the floor or in the top corner. Either way you need to cover at least one of three boundary points (where the floor or ceiling meets two walls)
With the corner closet one, I would do some testing there first to see what it is like and whether bass is collecting there -
Testing for Corner Bass Trap Placement - GIK Acoustics

Great advice, Thank you. I did just as the vid said and now I have the best placement.

One other question does the placement of sound panels look okay or should I have 2 behind the recording desk. Thanks again

If your monitors have rear bassports, then you need traps on the 'front wall', and most likley wiht a room that small, you need them anyway.

Wow what a difference!!!!! It just deadened the room right up. I then played the song I was working on and WHAM a whole lot of bass in my face, which is why my mixes are so bass heavy and takes me forever to tweak and "guess" where it needs to be. This will save me huge time now. Why didn't I do it sooner....oh why!!!!
My monitors don't have bass ports. I think it'll be fine with the 5 panels.

Thanks for the help guys!

Wow what a difference!!!!! It just deadened the room right up. I then played the song I was working on and WHAM a whole lot of bass in my face, which is why my mixes are so bass heavy and takes me forever to tweak and "guess" where it needs to be. This will save me huge time now. Why didn't I do it sooner....oh why!!!!

:)

This type of response happens every time someone takes the advice to use/make bass traps. Congrats!

It seems like so many think that bass traps only remove low frequencies. They just help to control the way a 'room' exaggerates the peaks and nulls of the low end, thus helping us hear the low end with more accuracy.

Only gets better from here yorgo. :D

My monitors don't have bass ports. I think it'll be fine with the 5 panels.

Thanks for the help guys!

Great news. We have recently written this artilce to help people get started with the room set up etc. Hopefully it will help others get the difference they need - Basics of Room Setup - GIK Acoustics Europe

Back