bass suggestions?

cubanorocker316

Hey guys, i'm planning on joining a band in which i'll be playing bass. I need some suggestions on what kind of bass to buy. My budget isn't too high maybe 400 max. I'm looking for a punchy sound, not too thick. I guess Between the Buried and Me's bass sound would be a good example.
Let me know what you guys have in mind.

thanks.

- Lou

Hey guys, i'm planning on joining a band in which i'll be playing bass. I need some suggestions on what kind of bass to buy. My budget isn't too high maybe 400 max. I'm looking for a punchy sound, not too thick. I guess Between the Buried and Me's bass sound would be a good example.
Let me know what you guys have in mind.

thanks.

- Lou

Ibanez and Yamaha both make excellent entry level basses.

Me, I'd go for a Fender Standard Precision. $425 new with a gig bag, and less if you find one used. I have 3 Ps, two of them MIM like the Standard, and they are my favorites. Great tone, easy to play, and -- in the right color -- attractive.

Are you a bass player, a guitar player who will slum on bass or just keen on being in the band?
The choice will really depend on your answer.

Slum?

Are you a bass player, a guitar player who will slum on bass or just keen on being in the band?
The choice will really depend on your answer.

Apparently you've never been in a band with a capable bass player. The bass is the motor that drives the band.

My advice is: ignore guitards and buy a GOOD bass. If you stick with it, you'll be glad you got a good one. If, on the other hand, you find you're not a good enough musician to play bass, you get more of your money back when you sell and go back to guitar playing.

Ah, sorry fellows you missed my point I AM a bass player - that is MY instrument.
Hence my concern for the motives of the poster becoming one.
Too many people consider bass an easy option or something they can fill in on whilst waiting for Zep to give them the call for lead.
If this person WANTS TO BE a bassist then we can talk about a good starter bass - if they are a guitarist filling in then that has other obvious options like a baritone etc.

Ah, sorry fellows you missed my point I AM a bass player - that is MY instrument.
Too many people consider bass an easy option or something they can fill in on whilst waiting for Zep to give them the call for lead.
If this person WANTS TO BE a bassist then we can talk about a good starter bass - if they are a guitarist filling in then that has other obvious options like a baritone etc.

Thanks for clearing that up.

I still stand by my advice. I was told, back before the Civil War, that you should always buy pro-level gear, for essentially the reasons I gave.

lpdelux,
IF the poster intends to BE a bassist I agree wholeheartedly with your recommendation financial constraints notwithstanding.

I'll throw my vote in here for the Epiphone EB3 SG Bass. For around $300.00, you get a 3-way pickup selector switch, which is pretty good for tweaking the sound, from P-bass thump to "swamp mud." I also have a Fender Standard Precision Bass, and I'll agree with that as a suggestion.

Matt

I've always dug the sound of a P-Bass special. Since it has a P in the middle and J in the bridge, you can get close to a J sound, or turn it off and have a P sound. You can get an aggressive sound like BTBAM with it. But a Standard P or J would do you good with the right amp, which I feel is the biggest dictator in how you sound, besides how you play which is the biggest.

lpdeluxe, IF the poster intends to BE a bassist I agree wholeheartedly with your recommendation financial constraints notwithstanding.

The fact is, some pretty useful basses are being produced these days for low prices. I favor Fenders, myself, owning four of the beasts. It's not because I'm a Fender chauvinist (my electric guitar is a Gibson Les Paul Deluxe -- how'd you guess?), but after some years of buying and gigging with alternatives, I learned that Fender makes real working basses without froufrou and with considerable value (of course, they make the other kind, too, but I don't buy those).

MIM Standards are well made and inexpensive (at least the more recent ones), especially used (I have a Jazz fretless and an FSR with a Warmoth fretless neck), and the MIM Classic '50s P is right at the sweet point for me, with a maple fingerboard, low price and great sound.

Another advantage of Fenders is that the sound is instantly familiar and fits right into most band contexts.

But there are so many good basses out there, that there's hardly any excuse to buy a POS and struggle with it. A better instrument will always allow you more freedom to learn without fighting ergonomics, poor construction or sound.

I had a long telephone conversation with my stepson's father several years ago when the stepson decided to have a nylon string custom-built (he was a junior [music major] in college). The father said, let him buy a $200 Yamaha and then decide if he likes it. I said, that $200 Yamaha will interfere with his learning, make it impossible to execute much of the material he's studying, and have practically zero resale value. On the other hand a custom made guitar will speed his learning, sound terrific, and the guitar market being what it is, likely be worth more used than what he pays for it. In the event, the son has gone on to a career in music, and has a gorgeous figured koa classical guitar into the bargain.

Well explained and a good justification lpdelux.
I agree with the rationale but being from a v/poor neighbourhood (as kid I had to layby the cheapest thing I could find - jap Coronet brand white SG copy AUS$70 in 1974 & pay it off over 3months) so I'd have to say that yours is a best case sceneario.
Having owned a variety of machines I'd agree that it's rare to find a better machine at a lower price ( I've had that luck once myself though just by playing squillions of basses).
Well put sir!

Well explained and a good justification lpdelux.
I agree with the rationale but being from a v/poor neighbourhood (as kid I had to layby the cheapest thing I could find - jap Coronet brand white SG copy AUS$70 in 1974 & pay it off over 3months) so I'd have to say that yours is a best case sceneario.
Having owned a variety of machines I'd agree that it's rare to find a better machine at a lower price ( I've had that luck once myself though just by playing squillions of basses).
Well put sir!

Thank you. My first guitar was a Ventura V6 Jumbo with a plywood top and flat wound strings someone had put on it in a vain attempt to make it playable. My girl friend and I had a garage sale where we raised the $35 necessary to buy the beast (she had -- still has -- a Yamaha FG180, so we're talkin' 1971). So I'm no stranger to the lower end...and that's what has convinced me of my position. I've gigged with a Montgomery Wards electric guitar and a MW bass, and others too horrible to mention, until my kids got old enough I could start buying the good stuff.

These days, some of the cheap stuff is MUCH better than the cheap stuff I used to play, and that's one of my points. Instead of 7-year-old third world orphans carving your instrument, those 7-year-olds are now running CNC machines, and the quality has improved.

By the way, I eventually treated the Ventura to a custom bear-claw top, Guild-style bridge and Gotoh tuners. Still have it. Played it this week.

Lou, I'm regular guitarist but needed a low-end bass for laying some studio lines. I hit GC and played everything in the $200-300 range. The Yamaha rbx-170 was my favorite. Decent tone, lightweight and comfortable, and no fret buzz. I liked the lower action of the Ibanez, but there was just too much buzz for my needs. I played several of each model to be sure.

I also wanted to try a Peavey model, which I'd read good things about, but they didn't have it. I'm sure that there are other good starter choices in the $200-300 range.

Tip: buy in person, not online. In this price range, the workmanship varies a lot. Once I decided on the Yam, I had the sales guy bring out 3 more of the same model, and I found one (only one) that was quite clean, overall. Check the straightness of the neck and consistency of the frets, in particular. Play it up and down to check for action and buzz. And so forth.

But then again, I'm not really a bassist, so what do I know?

Good luck,
J.

I'm a guitarist. I play bass also, unfortunetly my bass won't cut live performance. I don't understand why you can't just advise me, does it matter why i want the bass ? If you can't help me, then don't post in my thread.
And to all of you who did help, thank you.
it is very much appreciated.

- Lou

Back