Bass Strings Too Short?

FunkDaddy

So I'm completely new to bass playing, just scored a Traben Chaos Obsession 4 string offa Ebay. So I take off the shiny new strings because I notice a lot of gunk on the fretboard, get to work with some lemon oil. I was under the impression it was a 34" scale bass (a measuring tape comfirmed this) and I bought a set of GHS Boomers accordingly (for a 34" bass)

They didn't even come close to fitting! I was at the nylon "sock" (?) well before I hit the tuning pegs.

Did I just make a bass noob mistake? Are GHS strings known for being too short? Will I have better luck with another brand or do I just have to find strings for a 36" scale?

If the strings on your bass go through the body, that's probably the issue, and you will likely need to get 35" scale strings.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

If the strings on your bass go through the body, that's probably the issue, and you will likely need to get 35" scale strings.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Yeah, the strings go through the body...so is wrapping the "socks" (ok seriously, what are they called?) not a good way to go? Sacrificing tone/string life?

the "sock" is called a silk by most of the known universe.

for example:

"These Boomers have red silks on them while the Ken Smith strings that i used to have had purple on them."

the silk should start before the tuning peg but should not cross over the nut into the playing area. the silk is a holdover from orchestral strings. from what my former double bass teacher told me it was put on to keep the strings from unwinding and had the added bonus of not marring the wooden tuning pegs on violins, violas and cellos.

a lot of electric bass strings don't have any silk on them however. DR and D'Addario XLS would be two that don't.

Back