Bass Simulator for Guitar

tributcher

Hi, I'm recording with Sequel 3 and I want to record bass, but I don't have a bass.

Is there a way in Sequel 3 to make my guitar sound like a bass?

Thanks
Eric

Before I got a bass guitar I used an Octave pedal (Electro Harmonix) and dialed the blend at 100% wet. It is very glitchy if you do not play only one note at a time and use fresh strings, but it worked relatively well. I suppose there are octave-plugins, but make sure you record the guitar dry first (or monitor from your interface) before activating the plugin as there will probably be a lot of latency for this kind of effect done digitally.

Last edited:
The Boss BR600 had a similar octave effect to simulate bass. Like dain says about the pedal, it can be glitchy. Even a cheap bass guitar will probably give you a better sound.

Is there a way in Sequel 3 to make my guitar sound like a bass?
Do you have an amp ? Play only the deep strings on the guitar with all the treble turned off and the mid {if it has any} and bass full on.
But really, get a bass. Like mjb says, even a cheap one is better than what you're trying. Even a 3 string one is better.

If you get really pushed, you could download freebie midi composer and use a midi bass sound, there is usually a selection of bass sounds, some are pretty convincing if used with a bit of common........

all the best

Tim

I used to use the "Bass" patch in my BR1600 to get a bass track down when needed and it really didn't sound good. Like others have said, quite glitchy. I would recommend using a softsynth before Frankensteining your guitar signal. And yeah...definitely pickup a bass soon! It's definitely possible to get a good bass track via MIDI but if you're a guitar player by trade, you'll find it much more natural simply to pluck the strings.

+1 For using a real bass guitar. Borrow one/rent one out from a rehearsal studio/friend or something, if you can.
If you're gonna put some time and effort into a recording, then you might as well use the right equipment.

But if you absolutely can't use one anytime soon, then maybe try using a midi bass preset that's loaded in Absynth or something..that should keep you going until you do. :)

A while back, I had a song on which I dedcided I was going to play the bass part on 4 different instruments ~ double bass, bass guitar, bass pedals of a Hammond organ.......and the two deep strings of an acoustic guitar, miked, effected etc. Came out wicked. I've used the "miked bottom two strings through acoustic guitar into amp with bass up" set up a few times, not because I had to, but because I wanted to, in the spirit of experimentation as I'm a bass player and I'm never without one. So I can afford to mess about like that.
I want to record bass

I got a bass guitar
The Boss had a bass. Probably give you a better bass guitar.
Is there a bass?
get a bass down and sound good.
a cheap bass guitar will probably give you a better sound.
I used a fresh bass guitar alot
Like, Frankenstein your bass yeah...definitely
If you get a bass, there is usually a selection of bass sounds, some are pretty
really, get a bass.
It's definitely possible to get a good bass
definitely pickup a bass soon ! Pluck the strings.

The jury has spoken !

:listeningmusic: :guitar: :yawn: :drunk: :cool: :eatpopcorn: :p :rolleyes: :cursing: :laughings: :facepalm: :eek:

There's any number of people here who'll do drum tracks for you... perhaps there's a market for being a bassplayer for hire... helluva lot easier.

Grimtraveller, I'm looking at you..! :eek::D

If you get rich, remember the little people...

Back