Bass POD

OK,

So time has gone by, and now I've bought one. Here are some thoughts just in case anyone is interested...

My very first response after two minutes was one of very slight disappointment that I wasn't blown out of my chair by the pre-set sounds.

HOWEVER.... after a few hours tweaking I have to tell you that this machine is destined to form a fundamental part of all my 1680 recordings from now on.

I have tried it going stright into the 1680 as well as via my Ivory mic pre. The sounds are extremely convincing (I especially enjoy the Ampeg SVT and the Sunn Colliseum - but they're all pretty good). With a little patience you can get sounds which no-one would believe are 'artificial'.

As a bass player for 34 years (my God!) I am very critical of bass sounds, and these are good. (I have owned Fender, Marshall, Hiwatt and Ampeg bass amps).

The machine creates a sense of "liveness", fullness and depth, while being quite easy to keep 'under control'. You can achieve those zingy, middly, twangy tones but still with oodles of thick fat bottom end.

I don't use a lot of bass effects, but the chorus, flange and phase options are good.
The built-in compressor's not that great... but that's not what you buy it for, is it?

I've also tried it as a pre-amp into my old Ampeg B-15, and that was just remarkable. John Entwhistle? John Paul Jones? Tina Weymouth? Eat your hearts out!

And it's not just the old-timer sounds which are good. You can get some amazing 'sub-dub' and fuzzed-up tones if you have the speakers for it!

Almost best of all, I went back to some previously recorded tracks (some of them with quite decent original bass sounds) and fed them back into the Pob via a Send and Return loop. What a transformation! It's made me want to re-do all my songs. At a touch you can change a bass line from a U2 sound to a Bootsy Collins effect...

The say that the tonal quality of any production starts with the bass and drums. Well guys, unless you are already blissfully happy with your recording bass rig, I would say: you will not regret buying one of these. Mine cost £250 - which I guess is around $415 - but I guess you guys get them much cheaper in the states.

By the way, in case you're wondering what was wrong with recording from my beautiful old B-15, the answer is simply this: I can get superb sounds when I crank her up, but because of my totally un-sound proofed cellar/studio I can't get often do that.

The Bass Pod is the perfect solution in those circumstances.

All the best,

Martin

Back