Bass POD vs. Tech21 Bass Driver DI

Mountaineer

We are talking $350 vs. $160. I've read great things about both. Is the Tech21 good for direct to board recording? Is the bass POD worth twice the price? Christmas is coming and I need some input. Thanks!

PAPicker

I'm not really a bass player, I'm a gutarist who can double of bass effectively enough for my own purposes. So I'm not as particular with the sound as I might be with the six-string. For me, I don't see much place for anything but pretty normal-sounding bass in my own music, unless it's synth bass, so I don't need all the effects and such. So I doubt I'd even think twice about buying a Bass POD unless it was much cheaper. I'm actually fairly satisfied with the way my bass sounds through the regular POD's Tube Preamp model with a touch of compression. And I just bought an ART Tube MP Studio (the new model with the VU meter and the limiter circuit), and I suspect the bass will sound nice through that too.

Ooops!

Hmmm... I'm a "gutarist?" Now that I think about it, I really do need to lose a few pounds off the old waistline...

I use the Tech 21 Bass DI with my Fender P bass. It really does give the bass a creamy tube sound, and the distortion sounds nice too (if you need it.) I mainly keep mine very clean sounding though. I've had some difficulities with running it straight into my Delta 66 sound card, but If you are planning to run it to a mixer you should be ok. If not, you might need to get a pre amp too. As far as the POD goes, I've never used one so I just dont know.

AlChuck> You make a good point. I've used guitar POD for Bass with the bassman setting, clean, and pre-amp and get descent results, but I've never experimented with Soundiver and different Cabs with the bass . . .time for some trial work before I plop down the bucks. Thanks!

dabluesman>Yeah, I'll be going through a Mackie1202 so the Tech21 would work . . . question is - is it worth the bucks?

PAPicker

I would look at it as the POD is more of a bass amp simulator/emulator while the Tech 21 bass DI just makes your bass sound more creamy & tube like, but does not actually simulate other bass amps. I get a great sound out of mine when playing it through my amp, its a little tricky for me to get a good sound while recording with it though. However, I dont have a real mixer to run it through which makes a big difference. So I guess it comes down to how much money you want to spend. I feel that the Tech 21 is worth the money for what it does, and I also imagine that the POD is worth its cost too. Just do you want an amp simulator or do you want a box to make the signal sound alot better? I would probably go with POD (for my situation) if I could do it over again.

if you want a preamp or something to make your current "sound" sound better then get the Bass driver..

If you need a recording tool or a toy to get diferent cab/head sounds then get the POD,but keep in mind that the POD is not easy to use. If you get one prepare to take some time learning it.

Back