Bass Pickups/ DI's/whatever...

Sporkmyband

Hello Bass/Guitar experts.
I have a Danelectro Rumor Bass with a subpar p-bass pickup (wannabe) in it. I don't feel like it is getting a good sound. It lacks highs..it lacks lows. As a matter of fact, I am not entirely sure what is coming out of it. So anyway, I would really like to just pickup a Peavey Cirrus or something, but that isn't that option. I tried tracking through my Vintech x73i and my JoeMeek VC6 brit channel. I actually prefer the brit channel, I know that part. But I was wondering if putting in a new fender P-bass pickup and electronics, and maybe getting a bass fatfinger would get me sounding LOTSA better. In edition, I'd like to add a Sansamp DI. Would this make it sound a bit better. I really like the way the Dano Bass feels. The neck is nice. Would these upgrades be worthwhile? Let me know. Thanks alot.

You need to a/b it with another bass(that you know sounds good) that is ran through a descent bass amp to really judge the pickups that are in there now.

Dano's are basses like no others. Although this doesn't seem to be a hollow body type of bass that they are most famous for, I don't thinkyou will be able to get a totally different sound out of it by just putting in a different pickup. I'd forget about the fat finger completely, that's not gonna make such a huge difference.

The lack of tone you describe will probably come from the wood of the bass itself. A better pickup will only transfer that tone better, so it won't really make your bass sound that much better, because there is no super tone to begin with. Some active circuitry in a pedal form (like the sansamp) or in your bass will give you the ability to boost what you don't have much of (bass, treble), but it will not be a great improvement.

Back