bass lines

Blink 182

im having a hard time trying to justify putting simple basslines to songs. i feel just playing the root note of the chord is almost cheating as it is just enhacing what the guitar is playing, rather than having its own individual part. i think it sounds good, but i do feel it is just a case of me being lazy.

can anyone help me justify using simple basslines? or should i attempt to write more complex ones...?

thanks if anyone helps.

KISS always works for me...

Keep It Simple Stupid

The only time I come up with truely independent bass lines is when I start writting a song playing bass with my drummer, which is often. But there is nothing wrong with keeping a part simple to compliment a great guitar riff.

Blink 182 said:
can anyone help me justify using simple basslines?
Mmmm, maybe. If the style of music calls for that type of bass line, Ramones, Sex Pistols, etc...

Blink 182 said:
or should i attempt to write more complex ones?
Yes! In my opinion nothing compliments a beautiful guitar part like a melodic bass line filling the gaps with complimentary notes, think Beatles.

i really think its just like everything else... just depends on the song. sometimes having just 4 or 8 root notes for each chord just gives it a cool feel, even if there aren't power chords above it-I think of U2's With or Without You (I don't have it to listen to, but if I remember right, thats all or mostly root notes) that bassline is just solid and so... i don't know... emotionally poignant I guess. you should post your songs in the mp3 mixing clinic, and maybe others might be able to give you some helpful insight?

For good dynamics in a rock song you often hear quirky and complicated basslines in the verse, and much simpler downstrokes-on-the-root-notes for the chorus. So lonely by The Police is an example I guess.

That way you get the feeling of the song coming together and the disunity of the verse is resolved.

try playing the roots higher or lower than what the guitar is doing. It keeps the bassline simple while still getting it defined in the mix.

If the guitar is playing low E then play the bass high E and vice versa...

"i think it sounds good"

Well, that's all that matters. What is important to me in a bass part is not whether it's clever, or busy, but HOW it is played, and how it works with the drums. The great funk bassists can make a simple quarter note part groove.

What type of instrumentation are you working with? When my band was a four piece, I founfd myself playing more complicated bass lines then after we picked up a second guitar, especially during the guitar solos. A complex bass line doesn't have to be a solo in and of itself, however. The trick is to find the balance of implying the progression and staying out of the way of the vocalist or guitarist. Lookkat artists like the Who and Led Zeppelin. Of course you take a bassist like Michael Anthony playing behind Eddie and that theory goes out the window. Ultimately, it will come down to what works for you.

Garry Sharp said:
The great funk bassists can make a simple quarter note part groove.

Just reminded me of "Everyday people" by Sly and the family stone. The entire bassline is eighth notes on a G. Never changes. But man it grooves.

lykwydchykyn said:
Just reminded me of "Everyday people" by Sly and the family stone. The entire bassline is eighth notes on a G. Never changes. But man it grooves.
Anything by the doors. Ray played all the bass lines on his keyboard. He said that the bass lines he used would either break a bass players fingers or be too boring for a bassist. Being primarily a bass player myself, I have studied what he did, and I find that whether it's a complicated "walking" bass line or just a bass pedal tone, it always fit the song. That's the key IMHO. The bass line has to fit.

Blink 182 said:
im having a hard time trying to justify putting simple basslines to songs. i feel just playing the root note of the chord is almost cheating as it is just enhacing what the guitar is playing, rather than having its own individual part. i think it sounds good, but i do feel it is just a case of me being lazy.

can anyone help me justify using simple basslines? or should i attempt to write more complex ones...?

thanks if anyone helps.

As a bass player, here's how I look at it. None of these are rules, of course, just personal concepts of mine. And they don't always apply.

1) The bass is not actually something that works with or against the guitar; it forms an independent rhythmic unit with the drums. In my mind a three-piece band (as a simple example) isn't made of guitar, bass and drums; it's made of a lead guitar and bass + drums. If you add a rhythm guitar, it should seamlessly drop into the same rhythm unit or block. They aren't fighting each other; they're complementing each other by forming a larger whole than the individual parts.

2) Because of the nature of instrument, you've got a whole range of variations on a theme in a single guitar chord. Different voicings, for example. It seems to me that a lot of guitar players are latent bassists because they want to play power root chords on the lowest part of the scale on their lowest strings (why else would anyone want to play a 7-string guitar?) . Then they bitch about bass players playing their parts and being unnecessary! :p

3) Conversely, there's absolutely nothing wrong with a bassist playing a riff within the scale as long as the guitar is doing its part to hold tight rhythm with the drums.

I hope I didn't step on any toes here. I'm kind of tired and may sound blunter than I need to.

Do me a favor and listen to "Raise The Star" and especially "Driving In Cars" at my link below. I write all my stuff on a guitar and then bring in the bass later. Maybe it will give you an idea or two?

The only thing that's important is how it feels. IF the bass wants to move, then move it. If the bass wants to just chug away at root notes, then chug. I myself have often found that my desire to look more like a "musician" has made the job of writing parts much more difficult then it needs to be, and not always with better results. So just sit back, listen and feel, and let your hands do the work.

I find that if I am just jamming with some friends, I tend to over do it just to be heard, but when I record, I am more careful and make sure the bass line compliments the song. If it needs to be simple, I leave it that way. If it's got to get in your face and grab you by the balls, same thing.
Let the song dictate the bass line....

Blink 182 said:

thanks if anyone helps.

Sometimes the bass line can make all the difference to a song. I know this probably doesn't help much with guitar music; but when I see or hear the phrase "base line" I immediately think of Berlin's "Take My Breath Away." Now that was a bass line!

Keep writing,
Don

Well said...

I am more careful and make sure the bass line compliments the song. If it needs to be simple, I leave it that way. If it's got to get in your face and grab you by the balls, same thing.

The only thing that's important is how it feels. IF the bass wants to move, then move it. If the bass wants to just chug away at root notes, then chug.

whether it's a complicated "walking" bass line or just a bass pedal tone, it always fit the song. That's the key IMHO.

There were other good quotes as well. Just play the song, over and over. Does it sound like what you want? Experiment. It'll speak to you; 'nice and simple' and/or 'needs salt'. In the end what's important is what you, the creator, want it to be.

No two bass players, no matter how great, are gonna have always have done the same thing on the same part.

To me though, simple is the starting point. Unless, of course, the song started as a killer bass line, which then means...and so on.

Back