bass guitar with tremolo effect....has it ever been done?

They do exist, but I've never played with one. I think the only artist I have ever heard who used a bass trem is Les Claypool. I believe Kahler made them in the 80s, not sure where you get them now. Time for a google search!

http://www.ritter-basses.com/ritter-basses-info/ritter-basses-tremolo.htm

Well, there's one company that makes them nowadays. Seems a little unnecessary to me, but hey, I never got so into bass playing that I thought "Man - I am limited by the fixed pitches on this intrument". Just the ole 2 cents :)

ugh, that's interesting. never thought about THAT!

I was actually talking about the tremolo effect pedal that does what the vibrato channel on a fender amp does tho.

ugh, that's interesting. never thought about THAT!

I was actually talking about the tremolo effect pedal that does what the vibrato channel on a fender amp does tho.

The vibrato channel on a Fender amp varies volume. A tremelo arm varies pitch. I believe that technically the terms are reversed.

The vibrato channel on a Fender amp varies volume. A tremelo arm varies pitch. I believe that technically the terms are reversed.

You are correct sir! So I guess technically I was correct in a mistake - how bizarre... he was using "tremolo" in its actual meaning, I was using it in its ass-backward guitar meaning... and hilarity ensued.

Never tried a vibrato effect (what is technically tremolo) with a bass, sorry :)

First time I heard it on was on Shiner's "Giant's Chair" off Starless. Was more of an effect during the intro than something used during normal parts.

"Starship Trooper" by Yes? Pretty strong vibrato on Chris's bass there. Sounds cool in that context.

You and Creep both beat me to it. One of the great electric bass lines (and players) in prog-rock. Crank it up for full tremelo effect. BTW, I believe that Squire adds Moog bass pedals at the end of that tune when performing it live. Bone-rattling cool.

J.

Back