Bass Effects

Brahmb

Are they necessary? I have a Fender Jazz Bass that is fretless with flat-wound strings. It gives me the mellow sound I'm looking for. However, every once in a while I get the urge to slap the bass. Doesn't work with the fretless. Will an effects box honestly give me that sound or do I need to use a fretted round-wound bass?

You can slap a fretless bass but it won't sound like a fretted bass... and no effect is going to sound like someone really slapping a bass. Checkout a Fender American Jazz Bass.

I have both a fretted and a fretless and couldn't live without them both. Totally different. I have experimented with slap on the fretless and it's certainly, erm, different.

You'd really need roundwounds, which would carve up your fingerboard in no time, and still wouldn't work because on a fretless you don't get that attack in the higher harmonics which is what makes slapping work.

By the way I am planning to upgrade my fretless and a Jazz is on my possibles list - how do you like yours?

I love my fretless. It's only a Mexican, but I really like the mellow tones it produces. I'm looking around for another bass for slapping, but want to get an upright first, so money will prevent this for a while.

PS. I Auditioned an American and didn't like it as well as the Mexican. However, the American was fretted and roundwound, so it hardly compared with what I was looking for.

Last edited:
Back