bass drum problem

nosignal

hi i recently worked with the drummer in my band on getting some decent drum sounds and we got it pretty good i think except for the bass drum, i was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to make it sound better, here is a link http://media.putfile.com/SBX-recordings i appriciate anyones input. thanks

There's no beater attack in there at all.

Experiment with different mic positions - try pointing it at the edge of the shell, toward the beater, or pull it back a couple of feet.

Cut a hole in the front head, stick the mic inside. Also, lose the the big felt beater. Get a rubber/plastic/wood one. Also take the pillows out of the kick, this isn't the 70's anymore.

thank you for the input, we will try the beaters and the different mic positions, but theres nothing in the bass drum, and yeah i agree that its not the 70s its 2006.

The smiley didn't take after the 70's comment. Is there a hole in the front head? What mic are you using? Where are you putting it?

i am using a pg mic set and we pointed it at straight at the bass head about 5 inches in from the side. and there is no hole, and my drummer uses the felt beater, thank you so much for your help

If your drummer insists on not putting a hole in the front head, mic from the beater side. (if you don't get enough attack out front)

Your going to have a hard time getting good double kick sounds out of that mic, i have the same one. The best results i get is by placing the mic facing the beaters just inside the hole i cut in the head, seriously cut a hole, tell him he will look cool or something :rolleyes:
Did you get the set with the overheads or have you got differnt ones? Also what mic did you use on the snare and do you have any spare mic's cause you could use it on the beater side.

nosignal said:
i got the set with overheads and my drummer says hes going to cut a hole in it he just cant right now
Okay, tell him to do a proper job, with a compass. And make it big enough.
What kits he got, Nice sounding kit!

nosignal said:
its really really nice its a pearl sbx session series, he just got it about a week ago, thanks
Sounds well nice, is he using the snare that came with it?

Don't liek your snare sound tbh... but anyway - Bass Drum. Pretty much what everybody else said - changing the beater will make the biggest improvement, and if you're not having any luck with that try the old taping-a-coin-to-your-bass-drum technique... or a square piece of cork will do a similar thing.

Back