Bass Drum Mics - Need Help!!

Cageofmind

Hey Guys,
I am looking to purchase a good (Yet halfway affordable) bass drum mic. I am torn between three mics (Shure Beta 52, AKG D112, Audix D6) right now and honestly dont know which direction to head. I have read both good and bad reviews on all three. Please comment and give your opinion. If you have any ideas on something better (that is in the same price range of $100 - $200) please post that as well.

The main type of music I record is hard rock. Think Mudvayne, Slipknot, 40 Below Summer, Flaw, Tool, and A Perfect Circle (That sort of spectrum).

I won't be able to say if this is better than the others, but I recently got the Beta 52 and it's pretty sweet. Basically no eq'ing at all, and just packs a huge punch.

Honestly and this is honest you can almost close your eyes and randomly pick one of the three mics you mentioned and you'll love it. I've used both a beta52 and I own a D6. Both are wonderful mics that need little to no eqing. I basically just double up the track and slighty bump the high mids on one to get a more click sound, then I blend the click and thud and you get a beauitful thick tight kick sound. The key to these mics is placement, no matter where you put it in the drum it'll sound good but different locations give you slighty different if not better sounds. I usually mic about 6 inches off the head with the mic pointed very slightly downwards.

jonnyc said:
The key to these mics is placement, no matter where you put it in the drum it'll sound good but different locations give you slighty different if not better sounds.

Agreed. Any of these mics is gonna be fine. My personal favorite, which is not on your list, is the Peavey 520i. It has the advantage of being pretty small and light, too.

I`ve been using the b52 for a while now and I think its great, gives me the exact sound that I`m after.
I`ve also tried a sm57, and that wasent to bad it was kinda cool in its own way.

I wouldn't trust someone that says a single kick mic requires no eq. I could see if you were using multiple mics, but not a single mic. Every kick drum i've tracked needs at least a small cut in the mids. I have a D112 and B52. I almost always pick the D112 over the 52. For my mixes eq'ing it is easier and it fits in the mix easier.

i use a beta 52. I work in nuendo. When i am tracking, i am usually playing live with a band (not overdubbing). I usually take a kick track and hype EVERYTHING just so it cuts through the cans. Then when I am mixing, i usually take the EQ back to flat. Then I double the track, and add a little bottom and top to one, and cut out a lil mid on the other, sounds better somhow than eqing the sm track. ?!?!?! I love it! I also love the way the Beta 52 looks.

I use the d112 and ive always gotten great results....ive heard other people say that the audix d6 is better suited for heavier stuff...but i dont know cause ive never used it and i dont play harder rock....i think whatever mic u choose youll be in good hangs because they are all fantastique mics. If your looking for the best deal its probably the d112 on ebay u can get one for like 125

There has been more than one band in my studio that liked the kick with no eq and thats no lie so don't accuse me of it. There isn't quite enough click to the uneq'd kick so I like to bump up the high mids a tad but there are bands that prefer more of a thud which is what the d6 gives me with no eqing.If you can place the mic perfectly which is what I always strive to do and you get a good heavy footed drummer you can get a good sound that doesn't need eqing. Come on over I'll show you. I've just found little to no eqing is getting me better results than when I used to eq the hell outta my kick. Again don't say you wouldn't trust someone who says a single kick mic required no eq,thats like calling someone a liar and I don't lie at least not about dumb shit like kick mics.

Thanks!

Thanks for all the help guys. I ended up getting the Audix D6. I will write on here again after I get ample time to test it out. Again! Thanks for all your help!

Back