Bass drum hole ring coming undone

Zeroquag

I just cut a hole in my bass drum head for my new mic, and put in a ring (Bass Drum O's) to neaten it up and keep it from tearing. But it's coming apart, and possibly wasn't together right to begin with. Anyone have a knack for getting these things to stay together?

I followed the directions to the letter, but since it's my first try I don't know if they were "locked" enough or if they even do lock together.

If you are talking about the plastic ones, yes, they do snap tightly together. I had one in place on an old drum set for several years and it never came loose.

Maybe there is a piece of head material in the way, preventing it from closing/snapping correctly.

Not only should it snap into place, the underside of the outer ring usually has a sticky material on it. I rarely even use the inner ring. Cut the hole correctly, peel the sticky liner off, pop the ring in place, and it sticks on. I've never had one come off.

Thanks. Maybe I'll try to slice more of the head material away to make better contact between the two pieces.

Update for posterity: scraped off the adhesive from one of the rings and they snapped together, and haven't come apart since!

Back