Bass drum heads

tilinmyowngrave

I've decided that I need to change my crappy bass drum heads. But I havent been playing for long, and I've never changed bass drum heads, so I dunno what heads give what sounds. I really like the sound of Danny Carey's kick on Lateralus (Evans EQ3 batter, retro screen resonant), but my bass drums are smaller (mine are 22x14, his are 24"), so I'm not sure if I could get the same sound out of my bass drum. Anyways, basically I'm looking for a deep slapping sound that is penetrating, but not clicky. Any advice? Thanks in advance.

Just my thoughts.

I'm using the SuperkickII on batter and the Regulator on reso with the reso tuned a bit lower. I use the plastic beater with a Beta 52 placed anywhere from inside the head, angled towards it about 3-4 inches away...to 2-3 inches outside the head and placed 6-8 inches away from the soundhole. Depends on the type of song. I just poke arounf till I find the spot.

I think the #1 biggest determining factor is tuning. Great heads and crappy tuning don't work that well. (my own bone-head experience here) You can get away with cheap heads that are tuned well.
The other #1 factor is the room. Made a big difference in my drums after I tuned my room.

I don't know if this actually helps or not but maybe you can get something useful outta it.

Peace.............

tilinmyowngrave said:
I've decided that I need to change my crappy bass drum heads. But I havent been playing for long, and I've never changed bass drum heads, so I dunno what heads give what sounds. I really like the sound of Danny Carey's kick on Lateralus (, retro screen resonant), but my bass drums are smaller (mine are 22x14, his are 24"), so I'm not sure if I could get the same sound out of my bass drum. Anyways, basically I'm looking for a deep slapping sound that is penetrating, but not clicky. Any advice? Thanks in advance.

you've got the right idea then put in a pillow that extends from head to head and is in there somewhat tight. Evans EQ3 batters are the bomb.

Back