Bass Body Wood Question

solo2racr

SUCK, SQUEEZE, BANG, BLOW
I recently got a Hamer CP-4 bass that was in desperate need of refinishing. The previous owner had sprayed green Fleckstone paint on it. UGG! Anyway, In the process of stripping it down, I discovered that the is one piece and am considering just a clear coat. Now for the question......What kind of wood is this??? I know it is heavy. I know it is a hardwood. Beyond that....I'm lost.

Also, any ideas on finish????

3277275058_e8c7cce25a_o.jpg

Impossible to say without seeing it close up. Even then it is difficult to do a Looks like one of the following

Limba, obeche, korina, or anyone of a bunch of similar African of Asian hardwoods.

Don't believe anyone who reckons they can id it just from a photo. Educated guesses is all your gonna get.

Not really, correctly identifying wood is down to more than visual appearance.

I can show you identical looking pieces of timber that are distinctly different species. Timber is bought by it's botanical name for that very reason. The only way your ever going to find out 100% is to check with the people that made the guitar or supplied the timber. Everything else is an educated guess unless you get it under a microscope and look at the cell structure.

Having said that I wouldn't think my guess was far off. Anyone one of the generic African mahoganies would be my bet.

I agree that it looks like some kind of mahogany simply because that it is similar to the back of my Paul. I did contact Hamer and they were no help. They said it could be one of three kinds of hardwood and would probably be 2 or 3 pieces. Turns out to be one piece. I'll just say it's mahogany as opposed to Ash, Adler, Maple or ????

Thanks for the help.

It's definitely not Ash, Adler, Maple, but the mahogany thing is a case in point. Much of the stuff that goes under the title "mahogany" isn't mahogany at all, even some of the sought after stuff used by the big guys. Add to that that what is called something in one country may be called something else in another. It's a minefield.

Here in the US, the only people who can give you a definiative answer would be the US Forest Service lab, somewhere in Wisconsin (can't remember where exactly). But they would need a sample you don't mind not getting back - it gets destroyed in the process.

Oh, and they can't always give an answer. Not an issue here, but as a for instance, they usually can't categorized stump wood because the structure and chemical balance is completely different. Odd, huh?

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Truthfully......I could give a shit EXACTLY what it is. I just wanna know if someone should ask or when it's time to sell.

Back