bass amp mic's

dabluesman

I'm looking for a good mic to record my bass amp with, hopefully for around or less than $200. So far I've read a little bit about the AKG D112 and the Shure Beta 52. Anyone know about these or any others? Thanks!

i normally just DI bass myself. But I was recording my band recently and our bass player just picked up a new mic by shure...i think it was the PG52 or some model like that. I decided to give it a shot, and I think we got a killer bass track done with it. It needed a bit of mid range EQ tweekage. But it definately did what it was supposed to do.

The AT Pro 25 can be used to get a good bass amp signal. They're retailing around $100, but some dealers unload on ebay for way less.
-kent

Bass amp microphones

dabluesman,

I have been using the Beta52 with good success in getting a nice complementing sound along with the DI track. You can hear what this sounds like at www.meetgoodwin.com/audio.htm if you wish. However on some new recordings, we ended up using a SM57 and it sounded great! We wanted something a little more aggressive sounding from the cabinet sound and the SM57 sounded just huge! The Audio Technica ATM25 is a good choice as well. I have used ATM25, D-112 and ShureBETA52. I like the Shure best, but this is purely subjective. Good luck.

Cheers,
Daniel

I used to gig with 8-10s and I would put a D112 on one of the 10s and mix that with a DI signal. Great tone.

Back