Bass amp for home recording

really? i like eden stuff....well some of it. i always got into the cabs because rob deleo played them, and i really liked his tone. i've only played one eden head, a WT220 or soemthing head, and i hate it. it's got built in limiter that you can't defeat, so when you play hard and agressive (like i always do) it drops your sound level SO low to compensate. but, the higher up versions of that head, you can turn off the limiter which is nice.

honestly, check out the GK backline stuff. my head is the 600, so its the 300 watt thing, and it gets me through many shows, and i love it

that six band eq looks cool. i did the conversion, 139 euro is around $199 for us;

if you're interested in matching GK with GK, check out the head i use, the backline 600

Gallien-Krueger Backline 600 Bass Head: Shop Bass & Other Musical Instruments | Musician's Friend

i think it's a pretty versatile head. 4 band eq, but a contour knob, as well as a boost knob for added growl, along with a level knob per channel, a gain channel, and a master volume, all with an XLR out which you can either turn the EQ on or off for the XLR out to send it to a board (so if the EQ is off, you could reamp with that dry signal later). it's $299, so about 100 dollars more than what yours showed, but honestly i think it's a great head.

i actually just found some videos on youtube of me just playing with the head and cab from back in 07, which was like a year after i got it. i forgot i had this, some improv stuff i filmed, but itll give you an idea of the tone...i tend to play with EQ maxed out, everything at 10 except the bass..countour around 11:00, boost at like 12:00, and level at 12:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o0LK9e6Uxw - slap/finger style improv stuff

Last edited:
"I usually don't even bother having the bass player hook up his house rattling 15/18" as it's pretty pointless for recording (if 10" are available that's what I'm using)."

guitargodgt, i have to disagree with you man. the point of what i'm saying is that my cab is vintage....[/ATTACH]

Ah let me elaborate then.

If someone walks in with a ampeg B15 or 70s bassman with a vintage cab sporting larger speakers then by all means lets mic that fucker up and get some of that awesome old school sound going.

Most of what I record is in the modern tones area where that string punch (upper mid thwack if you will) is wanted and necessary (think American Fender Jazz through an ampeg SVT classic with a fridge of 10").

BTW, I question that guys hook ups in that ampeg video. It almost sounds like he has a busted driver. I would have liked to hear him plug one cab in then the other alone by themselves.

Plus if this is a studio only amp, a 1x10 micro ampeg setup is fine.

guitargod, i suppose i hear what you're saying. i actually play really hard, so i go after that deep growling tone (with PJ's, for example, a jazz too, but jazz basses always pop on the pickups when you play hard) but i get a pretty nice growly tone outta my cab too!

I have a fender bassman 60 and it has a direct out on the back for just this sort of thing. The tweeter makes the brights sound great without taking away from from the low end.

Favorite bass amp I have recorded: Mesa Titan
Favorite bass cab I have recorded: Ampeg 6X10 classic
Favorite mic on said bass cab: AKG D112

I usually don't even bother having the bass player hook up his house rattling 15/18" as it's pretty pointless for recording (if 10" are available that's what I'm using).

The pre I posted is for when (good) bass amps aren't available... which is pretty often.

speaker diameter is not necessarily related in linear fashion to low Hz reproduction. larger cones tend not to disperse as widely-- which, when you think about recording and taming room issues, might be a good thing! There's a schroder 215 out there that puts out less low bass than any standard issue 410, for instance.

speaker diameter is not necessarily related in linear fashion to low Hz reproduction. larger cones tend not to disperse as widely-- which, when you think about recording and taming room issues, might be a good thing! There's a schroder 215 out there that puts out less low bass than any standard issue 410, for instance.

Second that. Don't recall why, but not long ago I was looking at Eminence bass speakers, and found the one with the lowest bass response was not a 12, or a 15- it was a 10 or maybe even an 8. I was quite surprised.

Bass amps are used for the bass guitar, double bass and similar instruments. Bass amps require more power to drive low frequencies. An 80-watt guitar amp can be deafening while an 80-watt bass amp can be hardly heard over a drummer.

Eden WT550B and D212XLT

DI from amp for the lowest lows, and Sennheiser MD421 on the cab for the growl, bite and crisp details.

My tone on our EP has never sounded better. So perfect, my guitarist made sure the engineer kept it as loud as possible in the mix.

You talking to me? You talking to me? There's nobody else here, so you must be talking to me. You talking to me?

Seriously, why the vitriol? Did I miss something?

I was referring to this:

CraigCyril said:
Bass amps are used for the bass guitar, double bass and similar instruments. Bass amps require more power to drive low frequencies. An 80-watt guitar amp can be deafening while an 80-watt bass amp can be hardly heard over a drummer.
He copied the text from another website and pasted it here. Lame...

Oh, I see. Yeah, he might have credited the source. Makes me think plagiarism is no doubt rampant on th' internets.

Oh, I see. Yeah, he might have credited the source. Makes me think plagiarism is no doubt rampant on th' internets.

I don't think it's plaguerism; more like a spam-bot of some sort. Look at his other posts and you'll see they are excerpts from other websites. When I was a mod, I'd see these guys pop up and they were always from Pakistan, India or China.

Fookheads. so annoying.

:laughings: I had thought that you had gone off the deep end there for a minute Chili. :D

:wtf::cursing::wtf::cursing::wtf: Finally got to use the new smileys.

Back