Bass amp emulator

I don't know about that amp Sim, but it will have the distortion and compression characteristics of an amplifier, while the eq will only have the tone shaping.

Does anyone here have any experience with this?
I'm kinda' torn between this or just the basic Eq pedal...
I have a friend who has the Behringer and has told me more than once that it's excellent - especially for the price. He's very happy with it.

I don't know about those, but the SansAmp Bass Driver DI is pretty good.

I'm currently just running my bass through my POD Go, but I don't like any of the sims... I get better tone with my keyboard lol...

With the BDI121 I'm thinking, since it's based on the SansAmp, I should be able to just run it through a cabinet emulator...

For $39 you cant go wrong.
If I recall the Rush bass player used a SansAmp sim rack unit at some album.
If its based on that shouldnt be a problem.

never owned that specific behringer though.
the Behringer VTone stuff has been around a long time... the SansAmp stuff I had was metal and built really sturdy, while expensive...the Pod and VTone stuff was ok but seemed lighter, but never really had any issues with it, VTone and Pods were more computer like, multi- versatile, the rack units replaced pedals and cables. right?
The MultiFX processor years...then Amp Sims to do away with the huge amps and all that, running it through a console...like a DI box but all the extra tones and sounds.

This BDI21 bass pedal seems to be DI or... stomp on the button and adjust the "tube amp" simulator , via the Blend knob. Distortion to Clean....no verbs or flangers...no compression..but has presence, treble and bass eq.

Seems the difference between the EQ and the Amp Modeler is pretty large difference.

I'm currently using a 3band comp to tame the booming bottom end of my bass, but I just can't get the tone I'm looking for. It's hard to explain... I know it when I hear it. It's not distortion, but sometimes it seems like I can actually hear every vibration of a bass string in a recording.

I'm way squared away with my current home studio bass tracking. My interest in this Behringer is the in-the-box on-the-fly tweakability. For the money - seems like it might be useful, another tool in the toolbox. We shall see.

I wouldn't buy it for gigging (if I were a bass player).

Does anyone here have any experience with this?
Yeah. I've been using it for over 10 years and I think it's a brilliant piece of gear. I don't just go for one bass guitar sound, I go for a whole variety. I'll use DI, mic'd amp, mic'd guitar amp, DI from the bass amp or guitar amp, a three-way split between mic'd amp, DI and AUX out then blended into one sound, split between 2 amps then blended, bass thru an effects pedal, fingers, pick......they all do for me what I want them to do and part of my arsenal is the BDI21. I like different bass tones {I'm the same with snares, bass drums, electric pianos and organs}. The thing I like about the Behringer is that it gives a clean sound if I want that or a fuzzy one or a bassy one or a clicky one or anywhere in between or combinations thereof.
I can't say whether you'd like it because only you know what you're looking for, but I would heartily recommend it, but with the caveat that I like it and it works for me.

Been messing with the BDI21 for about an hour now. Fist thing I noticed is, it's not as loud as the POD amp sims, but... it DOES tame the low end volume better. Overall, the sound is more balanced.
Cranking the drive sucks lol... but, at about 3 it has a nice presence.
Has plenty of bass/treble boost, no unusual noise or distortion at full volume.
Setting it aside for now, gonna' try it as a pre-amp into my usual effect string later.
Yeah', for $60 (including power supply and Alabama taxes) it's a keeper ;)

When I've done bass guitar recordings, I generally just use my old PODxt. I pull up the Bassman pattern and twist a few knobs and go. Too bad it really hasn't been as good for guitar tones. I've done better just plugging into an amp and putting a mic in front.

I have the eq and i found it to be too noisy to use for recording. FIne for stage use tho

Drumz/BDi sound check... Been tweaking my kick/snare as well ;)

Attachments

• BDi BASS.mp3
    1.8 MB
I guess "sound check" wasn't enough of a hint...
I actually would like some "ears" on this lol

Back