bass absorbers - where on front wall?

Fishybob

I have 2 x 4" thick rockwool panels free standing in the lower corners at the front of my 'studio'. I want to put more at this end (the rear is being sorted soon).

Now, should the next 2 be over the top corners (covering wall to wall to ceiling) or behind the monitors (in the middle of the wall covering wall to wall only)???

I'm concerned about rear bass problems bouncing back into the room from the Mackie HR624's.

Help??? :confused:

But is there an advantage to putting them directly behind the monitors? If not I'll just go for the top corners.

Fishybob said:
But is there an advantage to putting them directly behind the monitors? If not I'll just go for the top corners.

If your control room is on the small side, you'll probably need them in all the vertical corners and more than likely at the wall/ceiling corners as well. I don't think you can really have too much bass trapping. I have a lot, and could use more.

Fishybob said:
I have 2 x 4" thick rockwool panels free standing in the lower corners at the front of my 'studio'. I want to put more at this end (the rear is being sorted soon).

Now, should the next 2 be over the top corners (covering wall to wall to ceiling) or behind the monitors (in the middle of the wall covering wall to wall only)???

I'm concerned about rear bass problems bouncing back into the room from the Mackie HR624's.

Help??? :confused:

Could you provide a sketch of your layout.

Speakers - including ported speakers - can cause cancellation problems in low frequencies - so the closer they are to the wall - the more important the trapping becomes.

Are you doing any actual testing - or is this all just by ear?

Rod

Sadly this is just by ear at the moment.

Due to the placement of the large window and the VERY thin rear wall the studio is set up length ways (don't give me too much stick... I wanted it the other way round but it would have proved very appealing a space to be in.

The overall size is about 7'x9'x9' - Nice and high but still a small space :rolleyes:

Attachments

• Studio diagram2.JPG
    Studio diagram2.JPG
    23.6 KB · Views: 41
Back