Basic Vocal Editing effects, please help!

midwesttribune

Have protools, trying to learn how to do the vocal effect's basics of rap and r and B. But these can be understood by those who do anytype of vocal editing so feel free for anyone to help. If you download singing acapellas and rap acapellas theres a very similar echo type effect, like a simulation of a room, and also not the actuall vocal doubling itself, but something that thickens the voice more as well. There not very noticeable when you hear the song with the instrumental, but they make a world of a difference, and there easily heard when the instumental is stripped away. Can anyone give me a bit of a walkthrough for dummies on how to do some of these basics in protools? thanks! P.S. Ive looked into the inserts/plug-ins that comes with this software its just that when i attempt to use the reverbs, and delays and such i dont get the thick, compact, suttle sound im looking for but rather a loud sound and over effected vocal that just sounds rediculous.

Well as far as your pro-tools effects go...

You need to know what you want to put onto the voice. Once applying the effect, screw with the "Mix" parameters for the effect. This will change the amount of dry and wet signal. This will stop the effect from being obnoxious. Hopefully this can give you a decent start. Try checking out the mixing and recording techniques forums. Good luck.

Well thats why i'm sayin im tryin to get walk throughs of what standard recording artists do to their vocals so that i can try those, an pick an choose what i want to use, and get a better understanding of what each of the plugins creates.

Without hearing the tracks in question it is tough to say. A guess would be that a lot of the "effect" your hearing is possibly vocals that are doubled/triple tracked etc...Also, the obvious nice mic/preamp in a Killer sounding room. Are you using any compression?

Yo its pretty simple if Im getting what your asking about right...what yo hear is a very light Reverb...check out the effects list and pick reverb, and then tweak it to your liking.

Edit:
Wow totally missed your p.s part of your thread, mybad...Yeah then Im kinna clueless on what you may be lookin for...maybe they are using a harmonizer???

Erockrazor was right.... once you have the REVERB effects parameter window up, turn the "MIX" slider down more towards 10%. Also make sure that it's not set on "Large Church". Reverb will give your vocal a more 'roomy' sound. To thicken up the vocal, use a compressor plugin that comes with Pro Tools. Pump up the gain and put the ratio at about 4:1, and fiddle with the settings until it sounds "phat". Good luck homie.

Back