Basic Rack Effects.

eternalmuzik

Hey, whats up everyone, I got a question,.... Well right now im using a 4-track recorder and some really cheap Cakewalk Express software when i record& i hate it.By Christmas time I will be getting a digital 12 track recorder and I was wondering what are the basic effects that you GOTTA have in a studio, I'm hoping that since i'm getting this nice recorder I can record some local bands and make some money,...What I mean by effects are like compression, reverb, noise gates, stuff like that, but just basic stuff though....thanks alot for any help

--justin

if your going to be mixing also for basics you'll want a couple of compressors, limiters, noisegates, reverb and delay. alot of the time you'll end of getting a compressor that comes with a limiter/noise gate.

oh yea you may want some parametic eq

I'd find a bit more about the digital 12 track you'll be getting to see what it has and what you'll need most.

Regardless though, I agree with Axis - you'll want a compressor no matter what the recorder has - it really helps to get a hot, solid signal into the recorder (especially for vocals).

Compression is almost a must. Gates and limiters will depend on what and where you are recording and what you are using to record.

Reverb and delay are almost must's too. Especially if you are close miking and you have no control over the room.

I would say just as basics that compression and reverb are your two essentials. You can add later as your skills, imagination, and demands increase.

The less signal degradation from one device to another, the better off you are. Sometimes less is more.

Also as far as EQ's go, Be prepared to spend a little dough on a parametric, If you think you need one. As a graphic EQ ( the affordable ones ) ai'nt gonna help ya much in the studio.
P. Taylor

Compression is a must, next to that... I think a good quiet delay ranks right up there with reverb. Just my opinion. I think some of the better units come with both though (all of the cheaper ones do). Maybe lexicon would be worth checking out?

F.S.

...just to make sure I didn't blur the point earlier...

IMO, compression is the only critical piece of outboard gear you'll need if your recorder has good built-in effects.

Hello...You may also want to check in to getting a decent mic-pre also. I've heard that the one's on board the digital machines are ok but that a separate one would be better.

Just my two cents.

God Bless!

Back