basic question, (I guess)

1manband

ok, so i have some new gear to record with and i have gotten some wonderful advice from many of you fine folks here, but the time has come for me to ask another question for the masses. here goes; I just bought some Pioneer speakers to use as monitors( i know they are not actually monitors) and i want to run them from a small poweramp, but how do i connect home stereo speakers to a poweramp that will most likely have TRS or RCA jacks in and out? I havent gotten an amp yet and i do not know if they make any that would be compatible. Like i had an amp that used banana clips and i know that with those, you could unscrew the port and insert the wire(regular speaker wire). Basically ya get the point im trying to ask right? Also i asked the dealer of the pioneers about the neutrality of the speakers and he said that if i ran them through a home stereo receiver as an amp, i will get some colorng of the actual sound due to the bass and treble on the receiver, but if they were strait from a poweramp, then they will be very neutral. Does that sound legit to anyone? Thanx for the advice gents, it is a real help.

No it is not legit. Home stereo speakers are made to make music sound good, not to be "flat" or reveal problems in the mix. From what I've read both the treble and bass is boosted in most stereo speakers because that's what humans like--it sounds good to us. Of course, most budget studio monitors aren't perfectly flat either. That doesn't mean that you can't "learn" to do a decent mix with them, though.

The speaker outputs will be unbalanced.

Any power amp will drive any speaker. In really about a + - wire.

On a 1/4" TS the tip is +

On an RCA plug the tip is +

Back