basic question, (I guess)

1manband

ok, so i have some new gear to record with and i have gotten some wonderful advice from many of you fine folks here, but the time has come for me to ask another question for the masses. here goes; I just bought some Pioneer speakers to use as monitors( i know they are not actually monitors) and i want to run them from a small poweramp, but how do i connect home stereo speakers to a poweramp that will most likely have TRS or RCA jacks in and out? I havent gotten an amp yet and i do not know if they make any that would be compatible. Like i had an amp that used banana clips and i know that with those, you could unscrew the port and insert the wire(regular speaker wire). Basically ya get the point im trying to ask right? Also i asked the dealer of the pioneers about the neutrality of the speakers and he said that if i ran them through a home stereo receiver as an amp, i will get some colorng of the actual sound due to the bass and treble on the receiver, but if they were strait from a poweramp, then they will be very neutral. Does that sound legit to anyone? Thanx for the advice gents, it is a real help.

1manband said:
Does that sound legit to anyone?

not to me man......I am pretty sure it's the response designed into the speaker that gives you a flat or colored response.....not the amp set clean...

It sounds like a sales shpeel to me....

How much did you pay for the speakers?

You might be able to return them and get monitors on the cheap on E-bay....something used....ya know?

i could be wrong, but i heard somewhere that all stereo speakers have a drop in the midrange eq while monitors used for recording are set flat. If thats true, then there probably isnt any hope in getting "true" sound through any stereo speakers. I do know of people that have learned to monitor with stereo speakers and adjust the mix accordingly, i guess it just takes time getting to know the speakers.

Back