Basic Omnidirectional Mic

abc123

I just finished a quick read of Dragon's Home Recording tutorial, including his comments on microphones. Appreciated all of the tutorial.

I am looking for very specific recommendations on an inexpensipve omnidirectional microphone that will produce satisfactory results in my 4-track recording. I am an amateur musician and home recorder and do not have my sights set real high on my results.

I have been working with my Fostex 4-track cassette recorder using a Nady SP-1 mic. My tracks to this point have been usually acoustic guitar and vocal -- my own efforts in both areas, including rhythm/lead guitar and 2 or 3 part vocal. Now I want capability for recording another guitarist/vocalist along with me in sort of a spontaneous jam session. Thus, the desire for omnidirectional mic.

Can someone recommend a specific omnidirectional mic that I could buy for under $100? I have seen the following 2 mics on sale -- What about them?
Audio Technica MT830cW - $69.95
Shure 520DX - $99.95
I also have seen a Global Audio CAD HM1 on sale at $19.95 but do not know if that is omnidirectional.

All advice and comments will be much appreciated.
Now

FALKEN said:
i have a pair of ev 635as that are nice.

I'd recommend the EV 635A dynamics over the two mics ABC123 listed... they're very durable, and sound very good. Besides being used in modern recordings (and news gathering), Laurence Welk (!) used to use them for vocal groups because they were so accurate.

My 635a is a good mic if you like rolled off lows and a moderately detailed sound. The best thing about the mic is that it doesn't do anything bad to the sound, it just doesn't get tremendous detail. Sensitive to the pre used. My B'er ECM8000 is good too and has much more detail. It does have some bad qualities but they only come out in certain situations.

Now I want capability for recording another guitarist/vocalist along with me in sort of a spontaneous jam session
Omni'll do it but that's the perfect place for a stereo pair of cardioids.

Tim

Last edited:
Harvey Gerst has recommended the Behringer ECM8000 for a budget omni ($35). I have used one with pretty good results on acou guit--until I got an Oktava.

tdukex said:
Harvey Gerst has recommended the Behringer ECM8000 for a budget omni ($35). I have used one with pretty good results on acou guit--until I got an Oktava.

Where can you get the ECM8000 for $35? I'm interested in one, but have only seen them for $50.

Yeah, it looks like the price has gone up on the ECM 8000 over the past three years. It wouldn't surpise me if the Nady was the same mic, though.

Really appreciated all the input. I have just placed online order with Musicians Friend for the Nady CM100 recommende by a cupl of you. The $39.95 price certainly was right. The description says that the mic is good for 'reference measurement' which is an unknown feature to me but it also is described as good for guitar/vocal omni recording so I think it will fit the bill for me at my level of use.

Thanks again.

Back