Basic Mixing Tutorial NEEDED BADLY!

neek silly

Ive been looking for help or any tips i can get. I need newbie level help, like how to mix and wich programs are good to use with reaper

Hey Neek, and welcome.

I'm afraid you're not gona get a whole lot of (useful) replies here. Those are two very vague questions.

What kind of programs are you looking for? Virtual instruments? What sort? Effect plugins?
Mac or PC?

How to mix a is bit like asking how to build a house; Where do you start?
Maybe you've got some specific questions or particular things that you're having trouble with?

What kind of music? Mixing house is a completely different animal from mixing rock or metal.

Let us know, and good luck.

You mix AFTER tracking (recording). What do you have recorded so far? Reaper is a 'program' (A Digital Audio Workstation, actually) - you don't need any other 'programs', and starting off it's got all the plugins you need except virtual instruments.

Ive been looking for help or any tips i can get. I need newbie level help, like how to mix and wich programs are good to use with reaper

Easy bro.

Open your Reaper session.

Make a folder track and put ReaEQ on it. Select highpass on tab 1.

Include every track that is not carrying the bass frequencies in this folder. So pretty much everything but the bass guitar and kick. Even put the elec gt's in there.

Download and install free VST plugins Epicverb, BootEQ and ThrillSeekerLA from this site.

VST Effects

Put BootEQ on your Main Vox - select "sophisticated preset". Put Thrillseeker after it . Then put Epicverb.

On Epicverb select "ambient" and dial in the amount of verb to taste.

Play with dials on Thrillseeker.

Pan guitars about 80/80 left and right.

Have mvox in centre.

Have keys to one side with the verb of keys panned opposite.

Spread high frequency strings right across stereo field.

Fatten up a synth line by delaying and opposite panning copied track of mono original a few milliseconds.

Google "Visual Guide To Mixing - Dave Gibson" and dl the pdf. Read it.

Search mixing tips in youtube.

Search Reaper tutorials in youtube.

I got the perfect tutorial for beginners and non beginners that what to just review their understand of mixing.

It is called "The Art of Mixing" by David Gibson, he breaks down the fundamentals and basics of soundspace visually.
You will get a really good idea of about sound is suppose to be in the spectrum of music, etc.

I found a high quality .avi format of this video on fiverr.com (a place where people sell things for 5 dollars), it is worth the $5 bucks, the video is like 2 hours and 40 minutes long:

fiverr.com/offthewall/give-you-the-infamous-tutorial-video-of-david-gibson-called-the-art-of-mixing-for-you-sound-engineers-and-producers-out-there

Sorry, I haven't made enough posts to add a url link in the post.

Mixing secrets of the small studio IMHO is the best book to read for mixing. It has concepts every beginner should know and every veteran should remember.

Looks to me like another one of those threads where someone asks a vague question and then never shows up on the thread again to contribute clarification on their question or thanks for the answers given.

Looks to me like another one of those threads where someone asks a vague question and then never shows up on the thread again to contribute clarification on their question or thanks for the answers given.

Maybe because the first answer did not instantly make them a killer mix engineer without doing any other work?

Alan.

Mixing secrets of the small studio IMHO is the best book to read for mixing. It has concepts every beginner should know and every veteran should remember.

+1 on this. great book, very clearly laid out and great, simple explanations.

the web in general is also full of very useful tips and tricks from basic starting point to more advanced ideas and techniques.

Back